It was just a day in January called Wednesday.
The thing about this Wednesday that was a vast improvement over the last one is the temperature. A week ago, it was cold and this Wednesday was warm enough that when my wife called to invite me out for a mid-morning cup of coffee, I ordered an iced mocha at the starbucks at 16th Street and Bethany Home, chatted about family business for a while and then it was time to make the routine trip to my office at KTAR, located at 16th Street north of Glendale. It was right around 10:30 a.m.
I didn’t hear the shots.
Perhaps they hadn’t happened yet, but when I got to the radio station, just up the street the alert had already come in. At least three people had been shot in an office building that I just passed. To the best of my knowledge, the incident was over but I called my wife anyway just to make sure she was safe and out of the neighborhood.
While authorities were looking for the gunman, the old cliché entered my mind: “I never thought it could happen here,” as I looked up at a TV monitor showing Gabby Giffords testifying before a Congressional committee on gun control.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains