It was just a day in January called Wednesday.
The thing about this Wednesday that was a vast improvement over the last one is the temperature. A week ago, it was cold and this Wednesday was warm enough that when my wife called to invite me out for a mid-morning cup of coffee, I ordered an iced mocha at the starbucks at 16th Street and Bethany Home, chatted about family business for a while and then it was time to make the routine trip to my office at KTAR, located at 16th Street north of Glendale. It was right around 10:30 a.m.
I didn’t hear the shots.
Perhaps they hadn’t happened yet, but when I got to the radio station, just up the street the alert had already come in. At least three people had been shot in an office building that I just passed. To the best of my knowledge, the incident was over but I called my wife anyway just to make sure she was safe and out of the neighborhood.
While authorities were looking for the gunman, the old cliché entered my mind: “I never thought it could happen here,” as I looked up at a TV monitor showing Gabby Giffords testifying before a Congressional committee on gun control.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever