Did you graduate from college? Do you have a degree?
I don’t. Oh, I have an honorary doctorate, but I didn’t have to work for that one. I just had to give a speech, that’s all.
I wanted to finish school because I really loved it, but after two years of studying about broadcasting, I was offered a surprisingly good job in radio. Now, I spend every day talking to brilliant people at the top of every field, yet I don’t have a diploma.
Tuesday’s news story on the subject suggested that there are too many of them. Everybody is graduating from college, but they’re not all doctors or engineers. About 25 percent of the retail people behind the store counter where you shop are college graduates. That’s true of 17 percent of bartenders and 15 percent of taxi drivers. According to the Center for College Affordability, most career fields these days don’t require a college degree.
If you have one you’ll probably make more money, but if you’re going to school to get a job, it probably isn’t worth the money.
Ah, but if you’re getting an education to learn things you never knew, to enhance your life, to discover, contact the dean of admissions right now.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon