Did you graduate from college? Do you have a degree?
I don’t. Oh, I have an honorary doctorate, but I didn’t have to work for that one. I just had to give a speech, that’s all.
I wanted to finish school because I really loved it, but after two years of studying about broadcasting, I was offered a surprisingly good job in radio. Now, I spend every day talking to brilliant people at the top of every field, yet I don’t have a diploma.
Tuesday’s news story on the subject suggested that there are too many of them. Everybody is graduating from college, but they’re not all doctors or engineers. About 25 percent of the retail people behind the store counter where you shop are college graduates. That’s true of 17 percent of bartenders and 15 percent of taxi drivers. According to the Center for College Affordability, most career fields these days don’t require a college degree.
If you have one you’ll probably make more money, but if you’re going to school to get a job, it probably isn’t worth the money.
Ah, but if you’re getting an education to learn things you never knew, to enhance your life, to discover, contact the dean of admissions right now.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments