Did you graduate from college? Do you have a degree?
I don’t. Oh, I have an honorary doctorate, but I didn’t have to work for that one. I just had to give a speech, that’s all.
I wanted to finish school because I really loved it, but after two years of studying about broadcasting, I was offered a surprisingly good job in radio. Now, I spend every day talking to brilliant people at the top of every field, yet I don’t have a diploma.
Tuesday’s news story on the subject suggested that there are too many of them. Everybody is graduating from college, but they’re not all doctors or engineers. About 25 percent of the retail people behind the store counter where you shop are college graduates. That’s true of 17 percent of bartenders and 15 percent of taxi drivers. According to the Center for College Affordability, most career fields these days don’t require a college degree.
If you have one you’ll probably make more money, but if you’re going to school to get a job, it probably isn’t worth the money.
Ah, but if you’re getting an education to learn things you never knew, to enhance your life, to discover, contact the dean of admissions right now.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates