There they stood. Together at last. Pillars of true representative democracy giving hope to 11 million Latinos who some day could know what it is to be “free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last.”
Can’t we all be optimistic that immigration reform can be a reality just like the civil rights legislation was? After all, John McCain of Arizona was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Charles Shumer of New York and next to them were Democrats Dick Durbin, Robert Menendez and Michael Bennet on the same platform as Republican senators Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio and our own Jeff Flake.
They were all there to show some real interest in bringing immigration into the 21st Century. When will that happen?
Well, the U.S. government has been working on it since the early 1800s, and between then and now, there have been limits or outright restrictions on Chinese, Irish, Catholics and Jews. It took until 1924 for citizenship to be granted to Native Americans.
So Guillermo and Rosalinda, you can hold off for a little while memorizing the Pledge of Allegiance.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona