There they stood. Together at last. Pillars of true representative democracy giving hope to 11 million Latinos who some day could know what it is to be “free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last.”
Can’t we all be optimistic that immigration reform can be a reality just like the civil rights legislation was? After all, John McCain of Arizona was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Charles Shumer of New York and next to them were Democrats Dick Durbin, Robert Menendez and Michael Bennet on the same platform as Republican senators Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio and our own Jeff Flake.
They were all there to show some real interest in bringing immigration into the 21st Century. When will that happen?
Well, the U.S. government has been working on it since the early 1800s, and between then and now, there have been limits or outright restrictions on Chinese, Irish, Catholics and Jews. It took until 1924 for citizenship to be granted to Native Americans.
So Guillermo and Rosalinda, you can hold off for a little while memorizing the Pledge of Allegiance.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night