There they stood. Together at last. Pillars of true representative democracy giving hope to 11 million Latinos who some day could know what it is to be “free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last.”
Can’t we all be optimistic that immigration reform can be a reality just like the civil rights legislation was? After all, John McCain of Arizona was standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Charles Shumer of New York and next to them were Democrats Dick Durbin, Robert Menendez and Michael Bennet on the same platform as Republican senators Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio and our own Jeff Flake.
They were all there to show some real interest in bringing immigration into the 21st Century. When will that happen?
Well, the U.S. government has been working on it since the early 1800s, and between then and now, there have been limits or outright restrictions on Chinese, Irish, Catholics and Jews. It took until 1924 for citizenship to be granted to Native Americans.
So Guillermo and Rosalinda, you can hold off for a little while memorizing the Pledge of Allegiance.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon