I was watching CBS on Sunday morning and one of their stories seemed to stay with me.
It wasn’t about gun legislation or continuing to look out for the abyss of yet one more fiscal cliff. It was a story about flowers — an infinite variety of flowers — strung together ceremoniously into what the Hawaiians call a lei.
Even if you’ve never visited the islands, you’re familiar with them: floral necklaces as symbolic of the culture as grass skirts and the hula. But Sunday, as I was watching this essay on the generations of Hawaiians and, before them, Tahitians, who created these works of living wearable art, it occurred to me how Americans miss out on how we define masculinity.
Those of us on the mainland, with our inbred European roots, would never dare wear fresh flowers to the office, yet most of the Polynesian men consider that an acceptable, often daily, accessory.
Ever see the guys at an island luau? Not exactly geeky feminine types and they’re all wearing flowers around their necks, on their wrists and in their hair…while they’re juggling flaming torches.
Hey, I know! On Sunday, walk into the Super Bowl party with a string of orchids around your neck and see how those real men react.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain