I was watching CBS on Sunday morning and one of their stories seemed to stay with me.
It wasn’t about gun legislation or continuing to look out for the abyss of yet one more fiscal cliff. It was a story about flowers — an infinite variety of flowers — strung together ceremoniously into what the Hawaiians call a lei.
Even if you’ve never visited the islands, you’re familiar with them: floral necklaces as symbolic of the culture as grass skirts and the hula. But Sunday, as I was watching this essay on the generations of Hawaiians and, before them, Tahitians, who created these works of living wearable art, it occurred to me how Americans miss out on how we define masculinity.
Those of us on the mainland, with our inbred European roots, would never dare wear fresh flowers to the office, yet most of the Polynesian men consider that an acceptable, often daily, accessory.
Ever see the guys at an island luau? Not exactly geeky feminine types and they’re all wearing flowers around their necks, on their wrists and in their hair…while they’re juggling flaming torches.
Hey, I know! On Sunday, walk into the Super Bowl party with a string of orchids around your neck and see how those real men react.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them