I was watching CBS on Sunday morning and one of their stories seemed to stay with me.
It wasn’t about gun legislation or continuing to look out for the abyss of yet one more fiscal cliff. It was a story about flowers — an infinite variety of flowers — strung together ceremoniously into what the Hawaiians call a lei.
Even if you’ve never visited the islands, you’re familiar with them: floral necklaces as symbolic of the culture as grass skirts and the hula. But Sunday, as I was watching this essay on the generations of Hawaiians and, before them, Tahitians, who created these works of living wearable art, it occurred to me how Americans miss out on how we define masculinity.
Those of us on the mainland, with our inbred European roots, would never dare wear fresh flowers to the office, yet most of the Polynesian men consider that an acceptable, often daily, accessory.
Ever see the guys at an island luau? Not exactly geeky feminine types and they’re all wearing flowers around their necks, on their wrists and in their hair…while they’re juggling flaming torches.
Hey, I know! On Sunday, walk into the Super Bowl party with a string of orchids around your neck and see how those real men react.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever