Finally, after all this time, half of our population has been given permission to offer their lives for our country.
At last, American women will no longer be treated like helpless, hoop-skirted maidens waiting at the window for their man to come home from war. On Wednesday, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta lifted the ban on U.S. females in the military going into combat. No man or woman wants to be in harm’s way, but how archaic the services have been by maintaining this antiquated gender bias.
Will all women be able to perform all the physical demands of combat soldering? No, but neither can I.
On Friday I was reading arguments against the decision like, “Women will be less likely to stay engaged or be of help to others.”
Or “They could find themselves in a combat area sleeping with male soldiers.”
Isn’t that the same stupid argument made to keep gays out of the military?
When people are being shot at, sex is not their most immediate concern. If you’re still opposed to the idea, argue with Israel, France, Germany, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Then tell your mom she’s not tough enough.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains