Finally, after all this time, half of our population has been given permission to offer their lives for our country.
At last, American women will no longer be treated like helpless, hoop-skirted maidens waiting at the window for their man to come home from war. On Wednesday, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta lifted the ban on U.S. females in the military going into combat. No man or woman wants to be in harm’s way, but how archaic the services have been by maintaining this antiquated gender bias.
Will all women be able to perform all the physical demands of combat soldering? No, but neither can I.
On Friday I was reading arguments against the decision like, “Women will be less likely to stay engaged or be of help to others.”
Or “They could find themselves in a combat area sleeping with male soldiers.”
Isn’t that the same stupid argument made to keep gays out of the military?
When people are being shot at, sex is not their most immediate concern. If you’re still opposed to the idea, argue with Israel, France, Germany, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Then tell your mom she’s not tough enough.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food