Finally, after all this time, half of our population has been given permission to offer their lives for our country.
At last, American women will no longer be treated like helpless, hoop-skirted maidens waiting at the window for their man to come home from war. On Wednesday, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta lifted the ban on U.S. females in the military going into combat. No man or woman wants to be in harm’s way, but how archaic the services have been by maintaining this antiquated gender bias.
Will all women be able to perform all the physical demands of combat soldering? No, but neither can I.
On Friday I was reading arguments against the decision like, “Women will be less likely to stay engaged or be of help to others.”
Or “They could find themselves in a combat area sleeping with male soldiers.”
Isn’t that the same stupid argument made to keep gays out of the military?
When people are being shot at, sex is not their most immediate concern. If you’re still opposed to the idea, argue with Israel, France, Germany, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland.
Then tell your mom she’s not tough enough.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise