Here’s something I’ve wondered about for years. Maybe you have the answer.
At a business lunch on Tuesday, a woman was expressing thoughts on how society has changed over the years. She wasn’t talking about complex issues like the economy or fossil fuels or Islamic radicals. She simply wondered how we survived our childhood.
She was recalling riding her bike around the neighborhood with no helmet and no concussions. She went on to reflect nostalgically, as many of us have, about being outside all day from the end of lunch until dinnertime, playing rough games like keep-away and King of the Mountain. She acknowledged with wonder how any of us stayed out of the emergency ward.
If you’re over 50, can you honestly say you ever remember anyone in your school cafeteria that had a peanut allergy?
And where were all the molesters? I never heard of them when I was a kid. Are they something new or did they just not find me particularly attractive?
When did those times change…and why?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates