Here’s something I’ve wondered about for years. Maybe you have the answer.
At a business lunch on Tuesday, a woman was expressing thoughts on how society has changed over the years. She wasn’t talking about complex issues like the economy or fossil fuels or Islamic radicals. She simply wondered how we survived our childhood.
She was recalling riding her bike around the neighborhood with no helmet and no concussions. She went on to reflect nostalgically, as many of us have, about being outside all day from the end of lunch until dinnertime, playing rough games like keep-away and King of the Mountain. She acknowledged with wonder how any of us stayed out of the emergency ward.
If you’re over 50, can you honestly say you ever remember anyone in your school cafeteria that had a peanut allergy?
And where were all the molesters? I never heard of them when I was a kid. Are they something new or did they just not find me particularly attractive?
When did those times change…and why?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments