Here’s something I’ve wondered about for years. Maybe you have the answer.
At a business lunch on Tuesday, a woman was expressing thoughts on how society has changed over the years. She wasn’t talking about complex issues like the economy or fossil fuels or Islamic radicals. She simply wondered how we survived our childhood.
She was recalling riding her bike around the neighborhood with no helmet and no concussions. She went on to reflect nostalgically, as many of us have, about being outside all day from the end of lunch until dinnertime, playing rough games like keep-away and King of the Mountain. She acknowledged with wonder how any of us stayed out of the emergency ward.
If you’re over 50, can you honestly say you ever remember anyone in your school cafeteria that had a peanut allergy?
And where were all the molesters? I never heard of them when I was a kid. Are they something new or did they just not find me particularly attractive?
When did those times change…and why?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon