So Mom and Dad. Remember when you were kids and your parents gave you that speech about who you could always look up to as a role model?
Who was worthy of patterning your values after? Perhaps it was a relative or a teacher or even a neighbor. More likely, it was some famous, heroic figure. Remember who you most admire when you were a kid, that person you know would never disappoint, never let you down?
So who do you talk to your kids about these days?
Lance Armstrong’s cycling victories in France probably were not the reasons you held him up as an example. It was his courage and his humanity, wasn’t it?
Now what do you tell them? Do you tell them they should always respect the military for the qualities they represent and their leadership? Does that include former Gen. Petraeus?
What about the people that are so trustworthy we vote for them and send them to Washington?
Role models? You’ve got to be kidding. You know what, Mom and Dad, maybe it just comes down to you.
If you do it right, you’re the nearest thing to God your children will ever have.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development