So Mom and Dad. Remember when you were kids and your parents gave you that speech about who you could always look up to as a role model?
Who was worthy of patterning your values after? Perhaps it was a relative or a teacher or even a neighbor. More likely, it was some famous, heroic figure. Remember who you most admire when you were a kid, that person you know would never disappoint, never let you down?
So who do you talk to your kids about these days?
Lance Armstrong’s cycling victories in France probably were not the reasons you held him up as an example. It was his courage and his humanity, wasn’t it?
Now what do you tell them? Do you tell them they should always respect the military for the qualities they represent and their leadership? Does that include former Gen. Petraeus?
What about the people that are so trustworthy we vote for them and send them to Washington?
Role models? You’ve got to be kidding. You know what, Mom and Dad, maybe it just comes down to you.
If you do it right, you’re the nearest thing to God your children will ever have.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain