So Mom and Dad. Remember when you were kids and your parents gave you that speech about who you could always look up to as a role model?
Who was worthy of patterning your values after? Perhaps it was a relative or a teacher or even a neighbor. More likely, it was some famous, heroic figure. Remember who you most admire when you were a kid, that person you know would never disappoint, never let you down?
So who do you talk to your kids about these days?
Lance Armstrong’s cycling victories in France probably were not the reasons you held him up as an example. It was his courage and his humanity, wasn’t it?
Now what do you tell them? Do you tell them they should always respect the military for the qualities they represent and their leadership? Does that include former Gen. Petraeus?
What about the people that are so trustworthy we vote for them and send them to Washington?
Role models? You’ve got to be kidding. You know what, Mom and Dad, maybe it just comes down to you.
If you do it right, you’re the nearest thing to God your children will ever have.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets