“Cheer cheer for old Notre Dame, wake up the echoes cheering her name.”
Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn’t heard that fight song? But today these echoes are whispering different names, exotic names like Lennay Kekua and Manti Te’o.
Of course, Manti Te’o is the year’s most-talked about football player. The linebacker on an undefeated No. 1 team. Heisman trophy finalist. Role model for virtually everyone who follows the college game. And now the center of one of the most mysterious, bizarre stories to come off any college campus in a long time.
What about the other name, Lennay Kekua? She was the love of his life. She inspired him to greatness on the football field, in spite of her being in Hawaii and he going to school in South Bend. Their romance touched the nation. Her sudden death caused us all to mourn and then to cheer, cheer for young Manti Te’o. We were deeply touched.
And then this week we were shocked to discover we had all been tricked. Lennay never existed. She was nothing more than an online voice. Who perpetuated this cruel hoax?
The answer just may “shake down the thunder from the sky.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon