“Cheer cheer for old Notre Dame, wake up the echoes cheering her name.”
Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn’t heard that fight song? But today these echoes are whispering different names, exotic names like Lennay Kekua and Manti Te’o.
Of course, Manti Te’o is the year’s most-talked about football player. The linebacker on an undefeated No. 1 team. Heisman trophy finalist. Role model for virtually everyone who follows the college game. And now the center of one of the most mysterious, bizarre stories to come off any college campus in a long time.
What about the other name, Lennay Kekua? She was the love of his life. She inspired him to greatness on the football field, in spite of her being in Hawaii and he going to school in South Bend. Their romance touched the nation. Her sudden death caused us all to mourn and then to cheer, cheer for young Manti Te’o. We were deeply touched.
And then this week we were shocked to discover we had all been tricked. Lennay never existed. She was nothing more than an online voice. Who perpetuated this cruel hoax?
The answer just may “shake down the thunder from the sky.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona