“Cheer cheer for old Notre Dame, wake up the echoes cheering her name.”
Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn’t heard that fight song? But today these echoes are whispering different names, exotic names like Lennay Kekua and Manti Te’o.
Of course, Manti Te’o is the year’s most-talked about football player. The linebacker on an undefeated No. 1 team. Heisman trophy finalist. Role model for virtually everyone who follows the college game. And now the center of one of the most mysterious, bizarre stories to come off any college campus in a long time.
What about the other name, Lennay Kekua? She was the love of his life. She inspired him to greatness on the football field, in spite of her being in Hawaii and he going to school in South Bend. Their romance touched the nation. Her sudden death caused us all to mourn and then to cheer, cheer for young Manti Te’o. We were deeply touched.
And then this week we were shocked to discover we had all been tricked. Lennay never existed. She was nothing more than an online voice. Who perpetuated this cruel hoax?
The answer just may “shake down the thunder from the sky.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments