On Monday, as you may know, we found out the answer to the question we have been asking for some time: “What is the state of our state?”
Gov. Jan Brewer was prepared to tell us in her annual address and there are some changes called for: the staffing of child protective services will be improved and Medicaid will be available to more people, but is the state of our state about to dramatically change in its neighborly relationship with the Mexican state of Sonora or any of the rest of that country?
¡Occasion gordo (“fat chance”)!
Brewer said she won’t support efforts to reform the nation’s immigration system until the border with Mexico is secure. Her position is nearly as surprising as the entertainment world discovering that Jodie Foster is gay.
Why should immigration reform wait for anything? We’ve been waiting for major changes for decades.
The border will only be secure when new immigration laws are in place.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise