I missed Richard Nixon’s 100th birthday on Wednesday. Oh, he’s still dead, but all of us who are involved in any way with the news of the day are still indebted to him and his presidency.
Even though there are still some loyalists who believe he was railroaded out of office, it seems abundantly clear to me that, looking back on the personality of the 37th president of the United States, we have every reason to appreciate every chief executive since he resigned.
He will be remembered by historians, always, for Watergate, his downfall, and that’s too bad because Nixon in China and his opening of that Bamboo Curtain was monumental for U.S. foreign policy. Kruschev toyed with Kennedy and Gorbachev had Reagan for lunch, but Dick Nixon manhandled Mao.
However, his international successes and legislative triumphs are overshadowed by the fact that he was a crook and a racist and anti-Semitic and the paranoid keeper of an enemies list.
Almost makes you miss Newt Gingrich, doesn’t it?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona