I missed Richard Nixon’s 100th birthday on Wednesday. Oh, he’s still dead, but all of us who are involved in any way with the news of the day are still indebted to him and his presidency.
Even though there are still some loyalists who believe he was railroaded out of office, it seems abundantly clear to me that, looking back on the personality of the 37th president of the United States, we have every reason to appreciate every chief executive since he resigned.
He will be remembered by historians, always, for Watergate, his downfall, and that’s too bad because Nixon in China and his opening of that Bamboo Curtain was monumental for U.S. foreign policy. Kruschev toyed with Kennedy and Gorbachev had Reagan for lunch, but Dick Nixon manhandled Mao.
However, his international successes and legislative triumphs are overshadowed by the fact that he was a crook and a racist and anti-Semitic and the paranoid keeper of an enemies list.
Almost makes you miss Newt Gingrich, doesn’t it?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development