Monday’s the night!
For those of you who only get involved with sports during the Final Four in college basketball and the World Series in Major League Baseball, tonight is the BCS Division I college football championship.
Notre Dame versus Alabama, number one versus number two, the undefeated Irish facing the powerful Crimson Tide, who have lost only once all season.
For the rest of us who knew all that already and didn’t need any added incentives to be watching every tick of the clock till 6:30 this evening, there is one additional bonus about this game: It also means we only have to suffer this BCS nonsense one more time. Then, a real playoff like in every other collegiate sport.
I’m not the least bit impartial. My son went to Notre Dame. In school, every Friday, a sister would send a Hail Mary toward South Bend, Indiana.
I’ve never been on the ‘Bama campus. I’m sure it’s nice. Bear Bryant is right up there with Frank Leahy and Ara Parseghian, but every time I’ve stood in the shadow of the Golden Dome at Notre Dame, I’ve felt I was somewhere special spiritually, academically, if not always ahletically anymore.
So no matter what happens tonight, go Irish!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains