Monday’s the night!
For those of you who only get involved with sports during the Final Four in college basketball and the World Series in Major League Baseball, tonight is the BCS Division I college football championship.
Notre Dame versus Alabama, number one versus number two, the undefeated Irish facing the powerful Crimson Tide, who have lost only once all season.
For the rest of us who knew all that already and didn’t need any added incentives to be watching every tick of the clock till 6:30 this evening, there is one additional bonus about this game: It also means we only have to suffer this BCS nonsense one more time. Then, a real playoff like in every other collegiate sport.
I’m not the least bit impartial. My son went to Notre Dame. In school, every Friday, a sister would send a Hail Mary toward South Bend, Indiana.
I’ve never been on the ‘Bama campus. I’m sure it’s nice. Bear Bryant is right up there with Frank Leahy and Ara Parseghian, but every time I’ve stood in the shadow of the Golden Dome at Notre Dame, I’ve felt I was somewhere special spiritually, academically, if not always ahletically anymore.
So no matter what happens tonight, go Irish!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food