Monday’s the night!
For those of you who only get involved with sports during the Final Four in college basketball and the World Series in Major League Baseball, tonight is the BCS Division I college football championship.
Notre Dame versus Alabama, number one versus number two, the undefeated Irish facing the powerful Crimson Tide, who have lost only once all season.
For the rest of us who knew all that already and didn’t need any added incentives to be watching every tick of the clock till 6:30 this evening, there is one additional bonus about this game: It also means we only have to suffer this BCS nonsense one more time. Then, a real playoff like in every other collegiate sport.
I’m not the least bit impartial. My son went to Notre Dame. In school, every Friday, a sister would send a Hail Mary toward South Bend, Indiana.
I’ve never been on the ‘Bama campus. I’m sure it’s nice. Bear Bryant is right up there with Frank Leahy and Ara Parseghian, but every time I’ve stood in the shadow of the Golden Dome at Notre Dame, I’ve felt I was somewhere special spiritually, academically, if not always ahletically anymore.
So no matter what happens tonight, go Irish!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments