Monday’s the night!
For those of you who only get involved with sports during the Final Four in college basketball and the World Series in Major League Baseball, tonight is the BCS Division I college football championship.
Notre Dame versus Alabama, number one versus number two, the undefeated Irish facing the powerful Crimson Tide, who have lost only once all season.
For the rest of us who knew all that already and didn’t need any added incentives to be watching every tick of the clock till 6:30 this evening, there is one additional bonus about this game: It also means we only have to suffer this BCS nonsense one more time. Then, a real playoff like in every other collegiate sport.
I’m not the least bit impartial. My son went to Notre Dame. In school, every Friday, a sister would send a Hail Mary toward South Bend, Indiana.
I’ve never been on the ‘Bama campus. I’m sure it’s nice. Bear Bryant is right up there with Frank Leahy and Ara Parseghian, but every time I’ve stood in the shadow of the Golden Dome at Notre Dame, I’ve felt I was somewhere special spiritually, academically, if not always ahletically anymore.
So no matter what happens tonight, go Irish!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever