Remember the Frank Sinatra classic with the lyric, “When I was 21, it was a very good year?”
And you know, looking back, it was. Republicans and Democrats got business done by — now get this — by speaking to each other with respect and the country never seemed to get close to a fiscal cliff.
Now all of us feel like Thelma and Louise every morning when we wake up.
When I was 21, I knew people who owned guns. My father had a hunting rifle. I never was aware of any one who felt the need for a privately-owned arsenal. You know, if we could use flame-throwers for hunting, we could just cook the venison on the spot.
Even as a young man I remember zealots predicting the end of the world. This time apparently the Mayans were wrong. Even Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said it’s coming. But what if Warren Jeffs turns out to be a Mayan?
It used to be that players and coaches stayed with one team. Now, everyone has their names on their uniforms just so we know who’s on our side.
Of course, some things go on forever. The Arabs and Israelis are still screaming at one another with threats of destruction.
Oh, I’m sorry. That’s Congress.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night