Remember the Frank Sinatra classic with the lyric, “When I was 21, it was a very good year?”
And you know, looking back, it was. Republicans and Democrats got business done by — now get this — by speaking to each other with respect and the country never seemed to get close to a fiscal cliff.
Now all of us feel like Thelma and Louise every morning when we wake up.
When I was 21, I knew people who owned guns. My father had a hunting rifle. I never was aware of any one who felt the need for a privately-owned arsenal. You know, if we could use flame-throwers for hunting, we could just cook the venison on the spot.
Even as a young man I remember zealots predicting the end of the world. This time apparently the Mayans were wrong. Even Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said it’s coming. But what if Warren Jeffs turns out to be a Mayan?
It used to be that players and coaches stayed with one team. Now, everyone has their names on their uniforms just so we know who’s on our side.
Of course, some things go on forever. The Arabs and Israelis are still screaming at one another with threats of destruction.
Oh, I’m sorry. That’s Congress.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain