Remember the Frank Sinatra classic with the lyric, “When I was 21, it was a very good year?”
And you know, looking back, it was. Republicans and Democrats got business done by — now get this — by speaking to each other with respect and the country never seemed to get close to a fiscal cliff.
Now all of us feel like Thelma and Louise every morning when we wake up.
When I was 21, I knew people who owned guns. My father had a hunting rifle. I never was aware of any one who felt the need for a privately-owned arsenal. You know, if we could use flame-throwers for hunting, we could just cook the venison on the spot.
Even as a young man I remember zealots predicting the end of the world. This time apparently the Mayans were wrong. Even Warren Jeffs of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said it’s coming. But what if Warren Jeffs turns out to be a Mayan?
It used to be that players and coaches stayed with one team. Now, everyone has their names on their uniforms just so we know who’s on our side.
Of course, some things go on forever. The Arabs and Israelis are still screaming at one another with threats of destruction.
Oh, I’m sorry. That’s Congress.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever