Al McCoy was the first Phoenix broadcast personality I ever met.
I had just come to town what seems like a century ago, and I was visiting Channel 12, which was also the location for KTAR radio. Al was on staff there.
We were introduced. We discovered we had Iowa in common and from that time, even when we were competitors, there was a warm and comfortable friendship.
Perhaps that’s because we have so many things in common. We’re both foodies with a hobby of discovering new restaurants. We are life-long big band and jazz lovers. And most importantly, we were the luckiest husbands in the world to have had the extraordinary wives we’ve been blessed with, I for thirty years and Al and Georgia for 54.
It will always be 54 years for the McCoys because Wednesday, Georgia McCoy passed away at Hospice of the Valley after an extended illness.
The thing I remember most about her is how proud she was of him, his work as the voice of the Phoenix Suns and his skills at the piano. I wouldn’t be surprised that somewhere Al is seated at a keyboard playing some old standard.
Perhaps something like “Georgia on My Mind.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night