Al McCoy was the first Phoenix broadcast personality I ever met.
I had just come to town what seems like a century ago, and I was visiting Channel 12, which was also the location for KTAR radio. Al was on staff there.
We were introduced. We discovered we had Iowa in common and from that time, even when we were competitors, there was a warm and comfortable friendship.
Perhaps that’s because we have so many things in common. We’re both foodies with a hobby of discovering new restaurants. We are life-long big band and jazz lovers. And most importantly, we were the luckiest husbands in the world to have had the extraordinary wives we’ve been blessed with, I for thirty years and Al and Georgia for 54.
It will always be 54 years for the McCoys because Wednesday, Georgia McCoy passed away at Hospice of the Valley after an extended illness.
The thing I remember most about her is how proud she was of him, his work as the voice of the Phoenix Suns and his skills at the piano. I wouldn’t be surprised that somewhere Al is seated at a keyboard playing some old standard.
Perhaps something like “Georgia on My Mind.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments