Al McCoy was the first Phoenix broadcast personality I ever met.
I had just come to town what seems like a century ago, and I was visiting Channel 12, which was also the location for KTAR radio. Al was on staff there.
We were introduced. We discovered we had Iowa in common and from that time, even when we were competitors, there was a warm and comfortable friendship.
Perhaps that’s because we have so many things in common. We’re both foodies with a hobby of discovering new restaurants. We are life-long big band and jazz lovers. And most importantly, we were the luckiest husbands in the world to have had the extraordinary wives we’ve been blessed with, I for thirty years and Al and Georgia for 54.
It will always be 54 years for the McCoys because Wednesday, Georgia McCoy passed away at Hospice of the Valley after an extended illness.
The thing I remember most about her is how proud she was of him, his work as the voice of the Phoenix Suns and his skills at the piano. I wouldn’t be surprised that somewhere Al is seated at a keyboard playing some old standard.
Perhaps something like “Georgia on My Mind.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon