Al McCoy was the first Phoenix broadcast personality I ever met.
I had just come to town what seems like a century ago, and I was visiting Channel 12, which was also the location for KTAR radio. Al was on staff there.
We were introduced. We discovered we had Iowa in common and from that time, even when we were competitors, there was a warm and comfortable friendship.
Perhaps that’s because we have so many things in common. We’re both foodies with a hobby of discovering new restaurants. We are life-long big band and jazz lovers. And most importantly, we were the luckiest husbands in the world to have had the extraordinary wives we’ve been blessed with, I for thirty years and Al and Georgia for 54.
It will always be 54 years for the McCoys because Wednesday, Georgia McCoy passed away at Hospice of the Valley after an extended illness.
The thing I remember most about her is how proud she was of him, his work as the voice of the Phoenix Suns and his skills at the piano. I wouldn’t be surprised that somewhere Al is seated at a keyboard playing some old standard.
Perhaps something like “Georgia on My Mind.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier