You must have noticed by now that when any news event takes place involving a shocking loss of life, the experts come out of the woodwork.
Total strangers are introduced to the world so they can tell us, with absolute authority, why something happened and what to do about it — it’s guns, it’s a lack of discipline at home, it’s global warming.
Well, I’m not an expert on anything, but I do have an opinion about the effect of something in our society that has changed dramatically over the last few years.
I’m talking about graphic violence for entertainment.
It wasn’t that long ago film and television censorship was focused on both sexuality and violence. I’m not a big fan of bureaucratic censorship, but, while performance arts have become more sexually liberated, there seems to be no limit on blood letting.
Decapitations, dismemberments and torture are not only standard fare on TV, movies and video games, close-ups of all of them seem to be an obligation.
And after a while, don’t you think that death for fun, could be confused with death for real?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match