We’re told that the holiday season should be filled with smiles and laughter and love, but you must admit that lately that’s been a little difficult to come by as we edge ever closer to a fiscal and emotional cliff.
Please let me help. If you’re really interested in keeping the Christmas spirit — if you want to be the Chairman of Cheer — get a dog.
Actually, the best thing to do is have a dog, one that’s yours, so you feel comfortable with each other. That way, you can go Christmas shopping together. If you do that, even just once, you will clearly see what makes those bells jingle.
Duffy and I have a big white Goldendoodle named Bijou. We get to take her everywhere because she’s a trained therapy dog.
On Tuesday, we were shopping at one of those big box everything stores and Bijou became Santa Claus. Kids of all ages were coming up and asking if it was okay to pet her, moms and dads shared stories about their family pets, an elderly couple broke into smiles seeing her prance across the parking lot.
These are the things that, this time of year, makes me feel that the only animal missing from the nativity is a dog.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise