We’re told that the holiday season should be filled with smiles and laughter and love, but you must admit that lately that’s been a little difficult to come by as we edge ever closer to a fiscal and emotional cliff.
Please let me help. If you’re really interested in keeping the Christmas spirit — if you want to be the Chairman of Cheer — get a dog.
Actually, the best thing to do is have a dog, one that’s yours, so you feel comfortable with each other. That way, you can go Christmas shopping together. If you do that, even just once, you will clearly see what makes those bells jingle.
Duffy and I have a big white Goldendoodle named Bijou. We get to take her everywhere because she’s a trained therapy dog.
On Tuesday, we were shopping at one of those big box everything stores and Bijou became Santa Claus. Kids of all ages were coming up and asking if it was okay to pet her, moms and dads shared stories about their family pets, an elderly couple broke into smiles seeing her prance across the parking lot.
These are the things that, this time of year, makes me feel that the only animal missing from the nativity is a dog.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon