In the news on Monday, there was an item about history.
For the first time, in modern politics, a state in the Deep South will be represented in the U.S. Senate by an African-American.
Tim Scott was just appointed to Jim DeMint’s Senate seat by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. I said, as of Jan. 3, one of the two senators from South Carolina will be black.
And as they say on TV, wait, there’s more! Soon-to-be Sen. Tim Scott is not just a black politician, he’s a Republican, a far-right conservative and the Tea Party loves him. This, in a state that, only an hour and a half ago, had separate bathrooms and water fountains for whites and blacks.
Good! It’s the Nixon-in-China thing. A black Democrat in the Senate wouldn’t be that unusual, but this breaks the mold. And if there was anything getting moldy, it’s South Carolina. We continue to make progress in racial matters, but sometimes it seems it’s at a snail’s pace.
1947 doesn’t seem that long ago, does it? But on April 15 of that year, Jackie Robinson became the first black man allowed to play Major League Baseball.
So welcome Sen. Scott, welcome.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night