In the news on Monday, there was an item about history.
For the first time, in modern politics, a state in the Deep South will be represented in the U.S. Senate by an African-American.
Tim Scott was just appointed to Jim DeMint’s Senate seat by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. I said, as of Jan. 3, one of the two senators from South Carolina will be black.
And as they say on TV, wait, there’s more! Soon-to-be Sen. Tim Scott is not just a black politician, he’s a Republican, a far-right conservative and the Tea Party loves him. This, in a state that, only an hour and a half ago, had separate bathrooms and water fountains for whites and blacks.
Good! It’s the Nixon-in-China thing. A black Democrat in the Senate wouldn’t be that unusual, but this breaks the mold. And if there was anything getting moldy, it’s South Carolina. We continue to make progress in racial matters, but sometimes it seems it’s at a snail’s pace.
1947 doesn’t seem that long ago, does it? But on April 15 of that year, Jackie Robinson became the first black man allowed to play Major League Baseball.
So welcome Sen. Scott, welcome.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.