In the news on Monday, there was an item about history.
For the first time, in modern politics, a state in the Deep South will be represented in the U.S. Senate by an African-American.
Tim Scott was just appointed to Jim DeMint’s Senate seat by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. I said, as of Jan. 3, one of the two senators from South Carolina will be black.
And as they say on TV, wait, there’s more! Soon-to-be Sen. Tim Scott is not just a black politician, he’s a Republican, a far-right conservative and the Tea Party loves him. This, in a state that, only an hour and a half ago, had separate bathrooms and water fountains for whites and blacks.
Good! It’s the Nixon-in-China thing. A black Democrat in the Senate wouldn’t be that unusual, but this breaks the mold. And if there was anything getting moldy, it’s South Carolina. We continue to make progress in racial matters, but sometimes it seems it’s at a snail’s pace.
1947 doesn’t seem that long ago, does it? But on April 15 of that year, Jackie Robinson became the first black man allowed to play Major League Baseball.
So welcome Sen. Scott, welcome.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon