It happened in Newtown, but it is the same old country.
Madman enters public place with weapons. Countless shots fired. Carnage. The shooter was a shy, quiet person who was not known by many. The primary crime weapon is said to have been some kind of high-powered rifle.
It all seems so familiar — like a dirty-joke that keeps getting repeated — only this time there is a big difference: 20 of the bodies belonged to babies who, when they woke up last Friday morning, still believed in Santa Claus and only a short time before a few had, no doubt, found a surprise from the tooth fairy.
Not one of them had an enemy, yet they were shot to death and the shooter — that’s how I will refer to him rather than dignify him with a name — the shooter didn’t buy his weapons from a shop or a gun show. He took them from his mother after he killed her.
Now there will be another hostile debate concerning what we should do about guns. Many want to ban weapons with extended magazines. Others say that’s the first step to the government confiscating all firearms.
To that, I say, grow up. There are 20 citizens of Newtown, Conn. that never will.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon