It happened in Newtown, but it is the same old country.
Madman enters public place with weapons. Countless shots fired. Carnage. The shooter was a shy, quiet person who was not known by many. The primary crime weapon is said to have been some kind of high-powered rifle.
It all seems so familiar — like a dirty-joke that keeps getting repeated — only this time there is a big difference: 20 of the bodies belonged to babies who, when they woke up last Friday morning, still believed in Santa Claus and only a short time before a few had, no doubt, found a surprise from the tooth fairy.
Not one of them had an enemy, yet they were shot to death and the shooter — that’s how I will refer to him rather than dignify him with a name — the shooter didn’t buy his weapons from a shop or a gun show. He took them from his mother after he killed her.
Now there will be another hostile debate concerning what we should do about guns. Many want to ban weapons with extended magazines. Others say that’s the first step to the government confiscating all firearms.
To that, I say, grow up. There are 20 citizens of Newtown, Conn. that never will.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.