So much for privacy and so much for anonymity.
Last week’s Arizona Powerball winner of $192 million simply asked for privacy; that his name not be released publically as is allowed by Arizona law. That lasted about 72 hours because that winner, Matthew Good of Fountain Hills, Ariz., was not informed by anyone that, in our modern world, there is no such thing as privacy.
Haven’t most of us considered the ramifications of disclosing to the world that we had suddenly become the recipients of enormous wealth, riches beyond anything we can spend in a lifetime?
Instantly, we would be beseiged by relatives we never knew, charities who would attempt to shame us into a contribution and infinite investment opportunities. And as we gained the needy and the greedy, we would no doubt lose a little respect for mankind.
We not only know that his name is Matthew Good, we know where he lives, where he used to live and the names of his family members. Matthew Good, I hope you can escape our society’s materialistic mercenaries.
Hey! Wait a minute! Matthew, I used to play a cowboy named Marshall Good. We could be related.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier