So much for privacy and so much for anonymity.
Last week’s Arizona Powerball winner of $192 million simply asked for privacy; that his name not be released publically as is allowed by Arizona law. That lasted about 72 hours because that winner, Matthew Good of Fountain Hills, Ariz., was not informed by anyone that, in our modern world, there is no such thing as privacy.
Haven’t most of us considered the ramifications of disclosing to the world that we had suddenly become the recipients of enormous wealth, riches beyond anything we can spend in a lifetime?
Instantly, we would be beseiged by relatives we never knew, charities who would attempt to shame us into a contribution and infinite investment opportunities. And as we gained the needy and the greedy, we would no doubt lose a little respect for mankind.
We not only know that his name is Matthew Good, we know where he lives, where he used to live and the names of his family members. Matthew Good, I hope you can escape our society’s materialistic mercenaries.
Hey! Wait a minute! Matthew, I used to play a cowboy named Marshall Good. We could be related.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food