So much for privacy and so much for anonymity.
Last week’s Arizona Powerball winner of $192 million simply asked for privacy; that his name not be released publically as is allowed by Arizona law. That lasted about 72 hours because that winner, Matthew Good of Fountain Hills, Ariz., was not informed by anyone that, in our modern world, there is no such thing as privacy.
Haven’t most of us considered the ramifications of disclosing to the world that we had suddenly become the recipients of enormous wealth, riches beyond anything we can spend in a lifetime?
Instantly, we would be beseiged by relatives we never knew, charities who would attempt to shame us into a contribution and infinite investment opportunities. And as we gained the needy and the greedy, we would no doubt lose a little respect for mankind.
We not only know that his name is Matthew Good, we know where he lives, where he used to live and the names of his family members. Matthew Good, I hope you can escape our society’s materialistic mercenaries.
Hey! Wait a minute! Matthew, I used to play a cowboy named Marshall Good. We could be related.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever