When I read about Iran and North Korea attempting to become part of the nuclear weapons family, I must admit, while I’m cautious, it doesn’t strike terror into my heart.
Even with help, the development of a workable bomb is extraordinarily difficult and the delivery even more so.
That’s not true of nerve gas.
This week’s news regarding Syria’s government arming munitions with nerve gas is a nightmare. If the Syrian military is ordered by President Assad to use this weapon against the Syrian people, it will be a new and instant kind of genocide.
Remember in 1995 when that Japanese religious cult released a small amount of sarin nerve gas in a Tokyo subway? It killed 13 people and injured 1,000. It kills when it comes in contact with the skin or is inhaled.
In the Army — those of us who were basic trainees — were told if we were subjected to a nerve gas attack we might have minutes to live.
The Syrian people are in grave danger if it’s used, and so are we if American troops try to stop it.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets