I like Bob Costas. He’s one of the best in his field.
Sunday night on NBC, he proved his field is not editorializing on gun control. Unfortunately, he chose half time of the Eagles-Cowboys game to express his opinions prompted by the murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher. Sorry Bob, but that was the wrong place and time for the use of your pistol-pulpit.
It reminded me of those embarrassing moments during awards shows when a recipient chooses to make social commentary instead of offering a simple “thank you.”
Costas added fuel to the fire when he said, “If Jovan Belcher didn’t posess a gun, he and his girlfriend would be alive today.”
So what would have prevented Belcher from legally purchasing a gun? He had no police record and no history of mental illness. Should we have created legislation preventing the sale of firearms to linebackers?
Listen, that kind of position only enhances the Charlton Hestons and Ted Nugents of the world and I firmly believe there are too many of those and too many handguns.
But badly presented editorials by respected personalities, like Bob Costas, are not helping.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development