I like Bob Costas. He’s one of the best in his field.
Sunday night on NBC, he proved his field is not editorializing on gun control. Unfortunately, he chose half time of the Eagles-Cowboys game to express his opinions prompted by the murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher. Sorry Bob, but that was the wrong place and time for the use of your pistol-pulpit.
It reminded me of those embarrassing moments during awards shows when a recipient chooses to make social commentary instead of offering a simple “thank you.”
Costas added fuel to the fire when he said, “If Jovan Belcher didn’t posess a gun, he and his girlfriend would be alive today.”
So what would have prevented Belcher from legally purchasing a gun? He had no police record and no history of mental illness. Should we have created legislation preventing the sale of firearms to linebackers?
Listen, that kind of position only enhances the Charlton Hestons and Ted Nugents of the world and I firmly believe there are too many of those and too many handguns.
But badly presented editorials by respected personalities, like Bob Costas, are not helping.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain