I’ll never understand suicide.
I suppose if we did, not so many people would attempt it. Somehow the motivation is a little clearer if it’s an inexperienced adolescent constantly harassed and bullied for being gay or fat or just different.
You and I both know suicide isn’t a solution for anything, but we’re grown-ups.
So why do grown-ups kill themselves? Why did successful Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher kill his girlfriend and then end his own life on Saturday?
This wasn’t some NFL reject watching his career fade sitting on the bench. He’d had a well-paid four years in professional football, the last two as a starter. He was a success in a glamorous field.
Can we blame this on a concussion or domestic stresses? Will we ever know? Will we ever be able to look inside the minds of soldiers and understand why they would kill themselves in greater numbers than at any time in our military history?
I pray to God we find an answer for all those tortured souls and for us.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match