I’ll never understand suicide.
I suppose if we did, not so many people would attempt it. Somehow the motivation is a little clearer if it’s an inexperienced adolescent constantly harassed and bullied for being gay or fat or just different.
You and I both know suicide isn’t a solution for anything, but we’re grown-ups.
So why do grown-ups kill themselves? Why did successful Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher kill his girlfriend and then end his own life on Saturday?
This wasn’t some NFL reject watching his career fade sitting on the bench. He’d had a well-paid four years in professional football, the last two as a starter. He was a success in a glamorous field.
Can we blame this on a concussion or domestic stresses? Will we ever know? Will we ever be able to look inside the minds of soldiers and understand why they would kill themselves in greater numbers than at any time in our military history?
I pray to God we find an answer for all those tortured souls and for us.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development