I’ll never understand suicide.
I suppose if we did, not so many people would attempt it. Somehow the motivation is a little clearer if it’s an inexperienced adolescent constantly harassed and bullied for being gay or fat or just different.
You and I both know suicide isn’t a solution for anything, but we’re grown-ups.
So why do grown-ups kill themselves? Why did successful Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher kill his girlfriend and then end his own life on Saturday?
This wasn’t some NFL reject watching his career fade sitting on the bench. He’d had a well-paid four years in professional football, the last two as a starter. He was a success in a glamorous field.
Can we blame this on a concussion or domestic stresses? Will we ever know? Will we ever be able to look inside the minds of soldiers and understand why they would kill themselves in greater numbers than at any time in our military history?
I pray to God we find an answer for all those tortured souls and for us.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain