I’ll never understand suicide.
I suppose if we did, not so many people would attempt it. Somehow the motivation is a little clearer if it’s an inexperienced adolescent constantly harassed and bullied for being gay or fat or just different.
You and I both know suicide isn’t a solution for anything, but we’re grown-ups.
So why do grown-ups kill themselves? Why did successful Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher kill his girlfriend and then end his own life on Saturday?
This wasn’t some NFL reject watching his career fade sitting on the bench. He’d had a well-paid four years in professional football, the last two as a starter. He was a success in a glamorous field.
Can we blame this on a concussion or domestic stresses? Will we ever know? Will we ever be able to look inside the minds of soldiers and understand why they would kill themselves in greater numbers than at any time in our military history?
I pray to God we find an answer for all those tortured souls and for us.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night