“Our network projections are in much earlier than expected and, in an overwhelming landslide victory, the dynamic Democratic candidate Stephen A. Douglas has carried both the popular and electoral votes in every state to defeat the ungainly and unattractive Republican, Abraham Lincoln.”
That’s not the way you remember the story from your earliest U.S. history books? You’re right, but that’s the way it easily might have happened if television had been around to cover that campaign and those debates.
When you see the new Spielberg movie, you will leave the theater understanding why so many historians consider Lincoln the greatest president we’ve ever had.
But there was no television in the mid 1800s.
Lincoln’s voice was not that of a soothing nor commanding orator. To some, it was described as irritating. His posture wasn’t that of a proud statesman. And my God! Is that a mole? Quick! Get the Photoshop people.
We wouldn’t even recognize him as a Republican, but when you see the movie, you’ll see the president we have all been looking for: courageous, ethical, a gifted leader.
How can we find the next Lincoln unless we turn off the cameras?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night