“Our network projections are in much earlier than expected and, in an overwhelming landslide victory, the dynamic Democratic candidate Stephen A. Douglas has carried both the popular and electoral votes in every state to defeat the ungainly and unattractive Republican, Abraham Lincoln.”
That’s not the way you remember the story from your earliest U.S. history books? You’re right, but that’s the way it easily might have happened if television had been around to cover that campaign and those debates.
When you see the new Spielberg movie, you will leave the theater understanding why so many historians consider Lincoln the greatest president we’ve ever had.
But there was no television in the mid 1800s.
Lincoln’s voice was not that of a soothing nor commanding orator. To some, it was described as irritating. His posture wasn’t that of a proud statesman. And my God! Is that a mole? Quick! Get the Photoshop people.
We wouldn’t even recognize him as a Republican, but when you see the movie, you’ll see the president we have all been looking for: courageous, ethical, a gifted leader.
How can we find the next Lincoln unless we turn off the cameras?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food