How to get something done in America: vote!
It doesn’t always work, especially not the first time you try to change policy by showing up at the polls, but given time and the gathering of like-minded voters, you can become who Arlo Guthrie was talking about in the song “Alice’s Restaurant:” you can become part of a movement.
That’s one of the things that happened one week ago. Latinos didn’t just talk or demonstrate or complain about not being represented, they voted. Boy, did they ever.
They kicked some elephant butt and got the donkey’s attention with a two-by-four up side the head. Suddenly, both sides are talking about immigration reform and they’re not just talking as they have been for ages.
Democrats have heard the call of the mariachi trumpets and are considering immigration reform as a top priority and Republicans — those who want to keep their jobs — seem to already be deciding that they will have to go beyond the dreaded letter “a” for amnesty.
And if that means that, sooner rather than later, 11 million of our law-abiding Latino neighbors can come out of the shadows, I say “arriba!”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns