“Thank you for your service.”
Even when it’s not Veterans Day, we say that, don’t we?
Most of us are prompted to express our gratitude when we see someone in uniform or wearing a cap that says “Vietnam” or “U.S.S. Nimitz” or perhaps simply “Semper Fi.”
We should go out of our way to let our warriors know how appreciative we are to all of them, everybody who ever put on a uniform.
Listen, in the Army, my entire military career was as an entertainer with a special services group of singers and dancers that toured the United States and Europe. The closest I ever came to harm’s way was a pair of tap shoes that didn’t fit, yet even I have been thanked for my service — often by others in the military — for bringing a little fun into their lives and it always made me feel great.
But veterans these days many times need more than words of gratitude. How many of you would invite an active-duty service person to your home for a holiday dinner? Find out what needs their families might have? Or, best of all, offer a returning soldier a job?
You know, that would be a nice new way to say “thank you for your service.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever