“Thank you for your service.”
Even when it’s not Veterans Day, we say that, don’t we?
Most of us are prompted to express our gratitude when we see someone in uniform or wearing a cap that says “Vietnam” or “U.S.S. Nimitz” or perhaps simply “Semper Fi.”
We should go out of our way to let our warriors know how appreciative we are to all of them, everybody who ever put on a uniform.
Listen, in the Army, my entire military career was as an entertainer with a special services group of singers and dancers that toured the United States and Europe. The closest I ever came to harm’s way was a pair of tap shoes that didn’t fit, yet even I have been thanked for my service — often by others in the military — for bringing a little fun into their lives and it always made me feel great.
But veterans these days many times need more than words of gratitude. How many of you would invite an active-duty service person to your home for a holiday dinner? Find out what needs their families might have? Or, best of all, offer a returning soldier a job?
You know, that would be a nice new way to say “thank you for your service.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.