“Thank you for your service.”
Even when it’s not Veterans Day, we say that, don’t we?
Most of us are prompted to express our gratitude when we see someone in uniform or wearing a cap that says “Vietnam” or “U.S.S. Nimitz” or perhaps simply “Semper Fi.”
We should go out of our way to let our warriors know how appreciative we are to all of them, everybody who ever put on a uniform.
Listen, in the Army, my entire military career was as an entertainer with a special services group of singers and dancers that toured the United States and Europe. The closest I ever came to harm’s way was a pair of tap shoes that didn’t fit, yet even I have been thanked for my service — often by others in the military — for bringing a little fun into their lives and it always made me feel great.
But veterans these days many times need more than words of gratitude. How many of you would invite an active-duty service person to your home for a holiday dinner? Find out what needs their families might have? Or, best of all, offer a returning soldier a job?
You know, that would be a nice new way to say “thank you for your service.”
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night