When we talk about the Valley of the Sun and all the communities that make up that metro area of more then 4.5 million, we sometimes forget that we have a large city within a city on the east side.
Arizona State University brings a population of 70,000 to already-large Tempe and this Thursday, that campus community grows even more.
For the first time, in all too long, Sun Devil Stadium may be sold-out, packed to capacity to see, in person, the game the rest of the country will be watching on television: second-ranked Oregon versus ASU.
A sell-out in itself is exciting and unusual, but it didn’t used to be. Sun Devil football was where everyone wanted to be in the ’60s and ’70s — the Frank Kush years — when winning was taken for granted. Then came all the pros and all the other distractions and sparky became an afterthought, but that’s changing, along with the uniforms, the logo and the new coaching staff.
In sports, things can change fast. Do you know that both the University of Oregon and Oregon State were, at one time, nearly removed from the Pac-10 for their pathetic sports records? The’re both in the top ten now.
And, Thursday night, the Devils want to prove they belong there too, in front of a lot of people.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night