When we talk about the Valley of the Sun and all the communities that make up that metro area of more then 4.5 million, we sometimes forget that we have a large city within a city on the east side.
Arizona State University brings a population of 70,000 to already-large Tempe and this Thursday, that campus community grows even more.
For the first time, in all too long, Sun Devil Stadium may be sold-out, packed to capacity to see, in person, the game the rest of the country will be watching on television: second-ranked Oregon versus ASU.
A sell-out in itself is exciting and unusual, but it didn’t used to be. Sun Devil football was where everyone wanted to be in the ’60s and ’70s — the Frank Kush years — when winning was taken for granted. Then came all the pros and all the other distractions and sparky became an afterthought, but that’s changing, along with the uniforms, the logo and the new coaching staff.
In sports, things can change fast. Do you know that both the University of Oregon and Oregon State were, at one time, nearly removed from the Pac-10 for their pathetic sports records? The’re both in the top ten now.
And, Thursday night, the Devils want to prove they belong there too, in front of a lot of people.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick