When we talk about the Valley of the Sun and all the communities that make up that metro area of more then 4.5 million, we sometimes forget that we have a large city within a city on the east side.
Arizona State University brings a population of 70,000 to already-large Tempe and this Thursday, that campus community grows even more.
For the first time, in all too long, Sun Devil Stadium may be sold-out, packed to capacity to see, in person, the game the rest of the country will be watching on television: second-ranked Oregon versus ASU.
A sell-out in itself is exciting and unusual, but it didn’t used to be. Sun Devil football was where everyone wanted to be in the ’60s and ’70s — the Frank Kush years — when winning was taken for granted. Then came all the pros and all the other distractions and sparky became an afterthought, but that’s changing, along with the uniforms, the logo and the new coaching staff.
In sports, things can change fast. Do you know that both the University of Oregon and Oregon State were, at one time, nearly removed from the Pac-10 for their pathetic sports records? The’re both in the top ten now.
And, Thursday night, the Devils want to prove they belong there too, in front of a lot of people.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.