If I had a son or daughter enrolled in the Chicago public school system, I should be charged with child abuse.
The public school teachers in that huge metropolitan community have been on strike since Monday.
That’s a union word for withholding services until management either gives in or closes down. In a way, the Chicago public school system closed down a long time ago with some of the poorest performance results and one of the shortest school years on record.
Is the argument about underpaid teachers making more money? Partly, but in Chicago, teachers average $76,000 per year — before benefits. They are also balking at being graded themselves on the quality of their work.
Let me ask you: doesn’t someone evaluate your work? Mine is.
Please notice, I’m only referring to the public school teachers. The private and parochial and charter schools of Chicago are still open and teaching. Those folks average only $50,000 per year.
I guess real educators don’t want to be counted absent.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night