If I had a son or daughter enrolled in the Chicago public school system, I should be charged with child abuse.
The public school teachers in that huge metropolitan community have been on strike since Monday.
That’s a union word for withholding services until management either gives in or closes down. In a way, the Chicago public school system closed down a long time ago with some of the poorest performance results and one of the shortest school years on record.
Is the argument about underpaid teachers making more money? Partly, but in Chicago, teachers average $76,000 per year — before benefits. They are also balking at being graded themselves on the quality of their work.
Let me ask you: doesn’t someone evaluate your work? Mine is.
Please notice, I’m only referring to the public school teachers. The private and parochial and charter schools of Chicago are still open and teaching. Those folks average only $50,000 per year.
I guess real educators don’t want to be counted absent.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon