The jobs story in the United States hasn’t been very positive lately, especially in Arizona.
But Wednesday that changed pretty dramatically in the West Valley, as the announcement was made by the Department of Defense that, after years of deliberation, Luke Air Force Base was selected as the official training center for the new F-35 fighter jets.
The base regularly generates around $2 billion in economic impact for Arizona, but in addition to that, community leaders are projecting 1,000 jobs and $17 million in tax revenue. Yes, Glendale needed good news coming from somewhere after all that city’s fiscal labor pains of late, but this shot in the arm of the 71-year-old base is adrenaline for the whole Valley, and the whole state.
Luke has long been economically important, even reflecting on its part of the growth explosion here, as returning military came back to the sunshine to make Arizona a permanent home.
U.S. and foreign pilots will be trained on both the F-35s and the F-16s, as all of us have yet another reason to salute one of our best neighbors: Luke Air Force Base.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments