The jobs story in the United States hasn’t been very positive lately, especially in Arizona.
But Wednesday that changed pretty dramatically in the West Valley, as the announcement was made by the Department of Defense that, after years of deliberation, Luke Air Force Base was selected as the official training center for the new F-35 fighter jets.
The base regularly generates around $2 billion in economic impact for Arizona, but in addition to that, community leaders are projecting 1,000 jobs and $17 million in tax revenue. Yes, Glendale needed good news coming from somewhere after all that city’s fiscal labor pains of late, but this shot in the arm of the 71-year-old base is adrenaline for the whole Valley, and the whole state.
Luke has long been economically important, even reflecting on its part of the growth explosion here, as returning military came back to the sunshine to make Arizona a permanent home.
U.S. and foreign pilots will be trained on both the F-35s and the F-16s, as all of us have yet another reason to salute one of our best neighbors: Luke Air Force Base.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona