The jobs story in the United States hasn’t been very positive lately, especially in Arizona.
But Wednesday that changed pretty dramatically in the West Valley, as the announcement was made by the Department of Defense that, after years of deliberation, Luke Air Force Base was selected as the official training center for the new F-35 fighter jets.
The base regularly generates around $2 billion in economic impact for Arizona, but in addition to that, community leaders are projecting 1,000 jobs and $17 million in tax revenue. Yes, Glendale needed good news coming from somewhere after all that city’s fiscal labor pains of late, but this shot in the arm of the 71-year-old base is adrenaline for the whole Valley, and the whole state.
Luke has long been economically important, even reflecting on its part of the growth explosion here, as returning military came back to the sunshine to make Arizona a permanent home.
U.S. and foreign pilots will be trained on both the F-35s and the F-16s, as all of us have yet another reason to salute one of our best neighbors: Luke Air Force Base.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life