The Chicago Cubs are back in the news.
Oh no, they’re in no danger of winning. As of this week’s All-Star break, they are 33-52, nearly the worst record in all of baseball.
No, the Cubs news story this week is that, on Wednesday, they broke ground on their brand-new $99 million Spring Training facility at the juncture of the Loop 202 and Loop 101 in Mesa.
Wrigley West will hold 15,000 fans and will no doubt be sold out all spring, beginning in 2014.
But why? Why, in an ancient ballpark, like the original Wrigley in Chicago, does the team average just short of 40,000 per game? That;s 40,000 watching lousy baseball and waiting for their first World Series championship since 1908.
The last time they were in the World Series was 1945. They lost the same year Japan lost the war. A century of frustration and disappointment, but everybody wants to see them and wear their stuff.
On Friday, when the Diamondbacks open a weekend series against them, how I would love it if some of that blind loyalty would just rub off.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets