The Chicago Cubs are back in the news.
Oh no, they’re in no danger of winning. As of this week’s All-Star break, they are 33-52, nearly the worst record in all of baseball.
No, the Cubs news story this week is that, on Wednesday, they broke ground on their brand-new $99 million Spring Training facility at the juncture of the Loop 202 and Loop 101 in Mesa.
Wrigley West will hold 15,000 fans and will no doubt be sold out all spring, beginning in 2014.
But why? Why, in an ancient ballpark, like the original Wrigley in Chicago, does the team average just short of 40,000 per game? That;s 40,000 watching lousy baseball and waiting for their first World Series championship since 1908.
The last time they were in the World Series was 1945. They lost the same year Japan lost the war. A century of frustration and disappointment, but everybody wants to see them and wear their stuff.
On Friday, when the Diamondbacks open a weekend series against them, how I would love it if some of that blind loyalty would just rub off.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development