The Chicago Cubs are back in the news.
Oh no, they’re in no danger of winning. As of this week’s All-Star break, they are 33-52, nearly the worst record in all of baseball.
No, the Cubs news story this week is that, on Wednesday, they broke ground on their brand-new $99 million Spring Training facility at the juncture of the Loop 202 and Loop 101 in Mesa.
Wrigley West will hold 15,000 fans and will no doubt be sold out all spring, beginning in 2014.
But why? Why, in an ancient ballpark, like the original Wrigley in Chicago, does the team average just short of 40,000 per game? That;s 40,000 watching lousy baseball and waiting for their first World Series championship since 1908.
The last time they were in the World Series was 1945. They lost the same year Japan lost the war. A century of frustration and disappointment, but everybody wants to see them and wear their stuff.
On Friday, when the Diamondbacks open a weekend series against them, how I would love it if some of that blind loyalty would just rub off.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains