The Chicago Cubs are back in the news.
Oh no, they’re in no danger of winning. As of this week’s All-Star break, they are 33-52, nearly the worst record in all of baseball.
No, the Cubs news story this week is that, on Wednesday, they broke ground on their brand-new $99 million Spring Training facility at the juncture of the Loop 202 and Loop 101 in Mesa.
Wrigley West will hold 15,000 fans and will no doubt be sold out all spring, beginning in 2014.
But why? Why, in an ancient ballpark, like the original Wrigley in Chicago, does the team average just short of 40,000 per game? That;s 40,000 watching lousy baseball and waiting for their first World Series championship since 1908.
The last time they were in the World Series was 1945. They lost the same year Japan lost the war. A century of frustration and disappointment, but everybody wants to see them and wear their stuff.
On Friday, when the Diamondbacks open a weekend series against them, how I would love it if some of that blind loyalty would just rub off.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona