The is the worst period of time in the history of the United States of America.
You hear that from someone just about every day, don’t you?
If Dickens was writing A Tale of Two Cities now, he might have opened it with, “It was the worst of times and the worst of times.”
Rainbows over some people’s houses are gray. And it’s true. To many people, this country is at the bottom of a cycle we’ve never known before.
Of course, historians don’t see it that way, because we’ve been here before and before that and before that. And during each challenging time, someone declared it historically bad.
With the Olympics coming up, I recall the ’72 Games and America’s highly controversial loss to the Soviet basketball team. We had always won the gold medal, destroying opponents. Headlines screamed U.S. superiority was over. Now just look at the 2012 team.
The USSR beat us into space, but not to the moon and beyond. Japan was the king of the automobile until we began making theirs over here.
Is it time to give up on America? Absolutely not!
No matter what dark period we have been in, in the past we have always come back strong.
So, America, it’s time! Get off your butt and let’s start moving!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever