Last week, the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States officially denounced spanking as a means of disciplining children.
Delegates to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church passed a resolution that calls for an end to the practice of corporal punishment in homes, schools and childcare facilities.
I’m not a Presbyterian, but I agree with them.
The only regret I have is raising two boys and a girl is that, on a couple of occasions, out of frustration and a lack of personal control, I swatted their bottoms and as I look back now, I’m embarrassed to admit that, at that moment, I was a bully.
I was bigger than they were, I was more experienced and I should have been smarter. So, in order to prove my superiority, I struck them.
They weren’t physically hurt, but what did they learn? That violence is sometimes excusable?
Dog trainers in the military, law enforcement in my home consistently warn against hitting. Establishing authority and respect is rewarded with good behavior.
If that works for dogs and Presbyterians, why not your children?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night