Last week, the largest Presbyterian denomination in the United States officially denounced spanking as a means of disciplining children.
Delegates to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church passed a resolution that calls for an end to the practice of corporal punishment in homes, schools and childcare facilities.
I’m not a Presbyterian, but I agree with them.
The only regret I have is raising two boys and a girl is that, on a couple of occasions, out of frustration and a lack of personal control, I swatted their bottoms and as I look back now, I’m embarrassed to admit that, at that moment, I was a bully.
I was bigger than they were, I was more experienced and I should have been smarter. So, in order to prove my superiority, I struck them.
They weren’t physically hurt, but what did they learn? That violence is sometimes excusable?
Dog trainers in the military, law enforcement in my home consistently warn against hitting. Establishing authority and respect is rewarded with good behavior.
If that works for dogs and Presbyterians, why not your children?
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.