Did you notice?
We lost three friends this past week.
How in the world do you replace Andy Griffith? I know that’s said each time a much-loved actor dies, but somehow, it seems that Andy, especially with that once-in-a-lifetime character Sheriff Andy Taylor, magically become a real member of virtually of every American family.
I never lived in a town as small as Mayberry but it seemed as if it would be easy to call home and to get my hair cut at Floyd the Barber’s. I saw Andy Griffith on stage and in the film version of No Time for Sergeants. Even there, he was a loveable hick.
But in his first movie, A Face in the Crowd, he blew me out of my seat as a Lonesome Rhodes, a crude, vulgar egocentric musician. Few remember that villainous role, but the world will always remember Sheriff Andy.
The sports fans of Phoenix will remember this week as not just the week Steve Nash left town, but the week he left for the Lakers.
Now, will we be good to him when the Lakers come to town?
Finally, a friend that seemed to be missing over the Fourth: the American flag. I didn’t see many.
Maybe next year you can take one of the kids out to hang one. They may even ask you to tell them what it means.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon