Did you notice?
We lost three friends this past week.
How in the world do you replace Andy Griffith? I know that’s said each time a much-loved actor dies, but somehow, it seems that Andy, especially with that once-in-a-lifetime character Sheriff Andy Taylor, magically become a real member of virtually of every American family.
I never lived in a town as small as Mayberry but it seemed as if it would be easy to call home and to get my hair cut at Floyd the Barber’s. I saw Andy Griffith on stage and in the film version of No Time for Sergeants. Even there, he was a loveable hick.
But in his first movie, A Face in the Crowd, he blew me out of my seat as a Lonesome Rhodes, a crude, vulgar egocentric musician. Few remember that villainous role, but the world will always remember Sheriff Andy.
The sports fans of Phoenix will remember this week as not just the week Steve Nash left town, but the week he left for the Lakers.
Now, will we be good to him when the Lakers come to town?
Finally, a friend that seemed to be missing over the Fourth: the American flag. I didn’t see many.
Maybe next year you can take one of the kids out to hang one. They may even ask you to tell them what it means.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever