State’s rights have been on the front pages and the lead stories for the last few months.
The foundation of the controversial SB 1070 law goes to the the fundamental questions as to whether there is something sacrosanct and untouchable about how individual states interpret and conduct their laws.
When does federal law trump state law?
The number of cases have been infinite but before freedom-loving, independent Americans make too broad a case for the federal government staying out of the sovereign business of individual states, go to your computer and find the pictures of Alabama Gov. George Wallace and Tennessee Gov. Orval Faubus standing in the doorways of their respective schools clocking the entrance of black children.
They and many others contended segregation was a states’ rights issue. Many of those states declared mixed-race marriages to be illegal — white and black, white and Asian, white and anything but white.
And not long before all too many states said they had the right to drive away their indigenous people: Native Americans.
Abortion, gay rights and literary censorship are often ruled upon by states, who I contend must do so very, very carefully.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development