State’s rights have been on the front pages and the lead stories for the last few months.
The foundation of the controversial SB 1070 law goes to the the fundamental questions as to whether there is something sacrosanct and untouchable about how individual states interpret and conduct their laws.
When does federal law trump state law?
The number of cases have been infinite but before freedom-loving, independent Americans make too broad a case for the federal government staying out of the sovereign business of individual states, go to your computer and find the pictures of Alabama Gov. George Wallace and Tennessee Gov. Orval Faubus standing in the doorways of their respective schools clocking the entrance of black children.
They and many others contended segregation was a states’ rights issue. Many of those states declared mixed-race marriages to be illegal — white and black, white and Asian, white and anything but white.
And not long before all too many states said they had the right to drive away their indigenous people: Native Americans.
Abortion, gay rights and literary censorship are often ruled upon by states, who I contend must do so very, very carefully.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.