State’s rights have been on the front pages and the lead stories for the last few months.
The foundation of the controversial SB 1070 law goes to the the fundamental questions as to whether there is something sacrosanct and untouchable about how individual states interpret and conduct their laws.
When does federal law trump state law?
The number of cases have been infinite but before freedom-loving, independent Americans make too broad a case for the federal government staying out of the sovereign business of individual states, go to your computer and find the pictures of Alabama Gov. George Wallace and Tennessee Gov. Orval Faubus standing in the doorways of their respective schools clocking the entrance of black children.
They and many others contended segregation was a states’ rights issue. Many of those states declared mixed-race marriages to be illegal — white and black, white and Asian, white and anything but white.
And not long before all too many states said they had the right to drive away their indigenous people: Native Americans.
Abortion, gay rights and literary censorship are often ruled upon by states, who I contend must do so very, very carefully.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night