Believe it or not, the Supreme Court handed down some other interesting decisions in the last few days that used an occasional S and B, but no 1070s…and we haven’t even gotten to healthcare yet.
Last week, they really shook things up for broadcasters and everyone who thinks that the George Carlin legacy that said there are seven words that may not be used over the air is still in effect.
This highly conservative court unanimously tossed out fines against two television networks for allowing a little nudity on a drama show and unintentionally broadcasting obscenities spoken on an awards show a decade ago.
In the 10 years since the American TV audience was exposed to those incidents, I am unaware that there are signs the apocalypse is any closer. There may come a time when censorship will be handled exclusively by the remote control.
Another decision that moves us nearer to being a humane society disallows life sentences without the possibility of parole for juvenile offenders — reasonable since their brains are not fully developed.
If only some of our policy makers could use that as an excuse.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona