Believe it or not, the Supreme Court handed down some other interesting decisions in the last few days that used an occasional S and B, but no 1070s…and we haven’t even gotten to healthcare yet.
Last week, they really shook things up for broadcasters and everyone who thinks that the George Carlin legacy that said there are seven words that may not be used over the air is still in effect.
This highly conservative court unanimously tossed out fines against two television networks for allowing a little nudity on a drama show and unintentionally broadcasting obscenities spoken on an awards show a decade ago.
In the 10 years since the American TV audience was exposed to those incidents, I am unaware that there are signs the apocalypse is any closer. There may come a time when censorship will be handled exclusively by the remote control.
Another decision that moves us nearer to being a humane society disallows life sentences without the possibility of parole for juvenile offenders — reasonable since their brains are not fully developed.
If only some of our policy makers could use that as an excuse.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain