To quote that song from West Side Story, “something’s coming, something good, gonna be great.”
College football fans are finally on the doorstep of a true playoff. Around the corner, in fact next week, college presidents will meet to officially approve a four-team playoff to determine the champion of Division One college football.
No more BCS. A playoff like in every other intercollegiate sport, including football in the lower divisions.
That already kind of neutralizes the argument about student-athletes taking too much time out of their academic responsibilities.
College basketball is a 30-plus game season, ending with a 68-team tournament — and big TV ratings — and big money going to the schools.
That may have been the motivation for this change. The BCS Championship game is worth about $125 million. The estimated take on the new playoff? Up to $400 million for the schools.
It will start at the end of the 2014 season with four teams. Who knows, if it works, maybe eight!
The air is hummin’ and something great is comin’!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development