To quote that song from West Side Story, “something’s coming, something good, gonna be great.”
College football fans are finally on the doorstep of a true playoff. Around the corner, in fact next week, college presidents will meet to officially approve a four-team playoff to determine the champion of Division One college football.
No more BCS. A playoff like in every other intercollegiate sport, including football in the lower divisions.
That already kind of neutralizes the argument about student-athletes taking too much time out of their academic responsibilities.
College basketball is a 30-plus game season, ending with a 68-team tournament — and big TV ratings — and big money going to the schools.
That may have been the motivation for this change. The BCS Championship game is worth about $125 million. The estimated take on the new playoff? Up to $400 million for the schools.
It will start at the end of the 2014 season with four teams. Who knows, if it works, maybe eight!
The air is hummin’ and something great is comin’!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains