To quote that song from West Side Story, “something’s coming, something good, gonna be great.”
College football fans are finally on the doorstep of a true playoff. Around the corner, in fact next week, college presidents will meet to officially approve a four-team playoff to determine the champion of Division One college football.
No more BCS. A playoff like in every other intercollegiate sport, including football in the lower divisions.
That already kind of neutralizes the argument about student-athletes taking too much time out of their academic responsibilities.
College basketball is a 30-plus game season, ending with a 68-team tournament — and big TV ratings — and big money going to the schools.
That may have been the motivation for this change. The BCS Championship game is worth about $125 million. The estimated take on the new playoff? Up to $400 million for the schools.
It will start at the end of the 2014 season with four teams. Who knows, if it works, maybe eight!
The air is hummin’ and something great is comin’!
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered