Happy birthday, KTAR radio!
90 years ago today, June 21, 1922, KTAR Phoenix went on the air. Well, back then, it wasn’t called KTAR.
Apparently folks thought this radio thing was a kind of passing pop culture thing, since the original call letters were KFAD.
There weren’t many radio stations of any kind in America 90 years ago and this one was the first in all of Arizona.
There weren’t that many people to listen, either. The entire metro area had about 40,000 people and most of them didn’t own a radio. There was a newspapers that allowed everyone to know what was happening. It was The Arizona Republic and, seven years after, the birth of what is KFAO.
The Repbulic bought the radio station and changed its call letters to KREP to highlight the Republic‘s ownership. It was not a well thought out decision, because when people pronounced KREP it didn’t turn out to be flattering.
Finally, in 1930, KTAR was used for the first time and in its 90 years, I think its made Arizona pretty proud.
Meanwhile, AZTV is close to 11-years-old and remains Arizona’s only locally owned and operated television station. Good for us. I’m looking forward to our 90th birthday.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof