I went out this morning to see if my Arizona Republic pamphlet had been delivered.
There it was, on the front step, where I have found it every morning. A while back, they would toss it in my yard. I had to ask them to be careful not to damage some of the plants.
Now, most days, the paper is so small it hardly leaves a mark. And how sad.
The first time somebody yelled “Stop the presses!” I don’t think they actually meant forever.
But that may be what’s actually happening. More and more people are reading the news of the day on a screen instead of an actual page. And because of that, more and more long-time, traditional newspapers are actually ceasing operations.
I use both. I like discovering stories I wouldn’t necessarily see, buried somewhere on page 26. But sometimes there is no page 26 or the news is so dated it should be listed as history. When local sports scores come in too late to be printed in the morning paper, something’s wrong.
What’s wrong is that, all too soon, newspapers, already an endangered species, may become extinct.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development