I hate to be the one to ask you something as personal as this, but is this the weekend you lose your child to that tempting, seductive killer — the swimming pool?
Oh, I know there’s nothing fundamentally evil about the pool itself. It’s just sitting there. Just as there’s nothing fundamentally evil about you when you’re just sitting there, watching a ball game, while your toddler goes out in the yard to play.
You were sure that someone else was watching, because you’re a good parent. You would never let anything happen to any child in a pool. And there’s always someone who knows where the kids are at all times.
All of them are with you, watching the ball game. Except the baby. Where’s the baby?
What’s that in the bottom of the pool?
That’s how sudden it can happen to the best of families, like friends of ours whose 4-year-old stood on a chair, unlocked the pool gate and will be 4-years-old forever.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever