I hate to be the one to ask you something as personal as this, but is this the weekend you lose your child to that tempting, seductive killer — the swimming pool?
Oh, I know there’s nothing fundamentally evil about the pool itself. It’s just sitting there. Just as there’s nothing fundamentally evil about you when you’re just sitting there, watching a ball game, while your toddler goes out in the yard to play.
You were sure that someone else was watching, because you’re a good parent. You would never let anything happen to any child in a pool. And there’s always someone who knows where the kids are at all times.
All of them are with you, watching the ball game. Except the baby. Where’s the baby?
What’s that in the bottom of the pool?
That’s how sudden it can happen to the best of families, like friends of ours whose 4-year-old stood on a chair, unlocked the pool gate and will be 4-years-old forever.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain