I hate to be the one to ask you something as personal as this, but is this the weekend you lose your child to that tempting, seductive killer — the swimming pool?
Oh, I know there’s nothing fundamentally evil about the pool itself. It’s just sitting there. Just as there’s nothing fundamentally evil about you when you’re just sitting there, watching a ball game, while your toddler goes out in the yard to play.
You were sure that someone else was watching, because you’re a good parent. You would never let anything happen to any child in a pool. And there’s always someone who knows where the kids are at all times.
All of them are with you, watching the ball game. Except the baby. Where’s the baby?
What’s that in the bottom of the pool?
That’s how sudden it can happen to the best of families, like friends of ours whose 4-year-old stood on a chair, unlocked the pool gate and will be 4-years-old forever.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night