Did you watch the spectacular four days devoted to the celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee?
Did you see the Royal Family in the procession with the Royal Guard? How about that flotilla of boats on the Thames to honor her or that remarkable gathering of talent, like Paul McCartney and Elton John and Stevie Wonder at the Command Performance Concert at Buckingham Palace?
Did you see all that? Were you excited to be part of the queen’s 60 years on the throne? Why?
I mean, it’s very nice for anyone to keep a job for 60 years doing anything, but what exactly does she do? She seems like a perfectly nice lady but, outside of wearing hats and waving, I would be hard pressed to enumerate her duties. That doesn’t upset me anymore than the hundreds of millions around the world who watch her do it.
And, most curious of all, is the American obsession with the Royal Family. Are we looking for something?
Hey, maybe if Obama and Romney would wear big hats and wave we’d all feel good again.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments