Did you watch the spectacular four days devoted to the celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee?
Did you see the Royal Family in the procession with the Royal Guard? How about that flotilla of boats on the Thames to honor her or that remarkable gathering of talent, like Paul McCartney and Elton John and Stevie Wonder at the Command Performance Concert at Buckingham Palace?
Did you see all that? Were you excited to be part of the queen’s 60 years on the throne? Why?
I mean, it’s very nice for anyone to keep a job for 60 years doing anything, but what exactly does she do? She seems like a perfectly nice lady but, outside of wearing hats and waving, I would be hard pressed to enumerate her duties. That doesn’t upset me anymore than the hundreds of millions around the world who watch her do it.
And, most curious of all, is the American obsession with the Royal Family. Are we looking for something?
Hey, maybe if Obama and Romney would wear big hats and wave we’d all feel good again.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon