Did you watch the spectacular four days devoted to the celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s Diamond Jubilee?
Did you see the Royal Family in the procession with the Royal Guard? How about that flotilla of boats on the Thames to honor her or that remarkable gathering of talent, like Paul McCartney and Elton John and Stevie Wonder at the Command Performance Concert at Buckingham Palace?
Did you see all that? Were you excited to be part of the queen’s 60 years on the throne? Why?
I mean, it’s very nice for anyone to keep a job for 60 years doing anything, but what exactly does she do? She seems like a perfectly nice lady but, outside of wearing hats and waving, I would be hard pressed to enumerate her duties. That doesn’t upset me anymore than the hundreds of millions around the world who watch her do it.
And, most curious of all, is the American obsession with the Royal Family. Are we looking for something?
Hey, maybe if Obama and Romney would wear big hats and wave we’d all feel good again.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees