I like to think of myself as a protector of all things
children. That is not to say I find all children equally
appealing. Some I never cared for at all – but if they’re
kids, they need protection.
However, we seem to live in a time when, because of the
actions of a few evil people, our society attempts to
envelop all our offspring in a life-sapping isolation
bubble inflated by extreme over-reaction.
The latest example is the 73-year-old Scottsdale man
forced out of a major chain bookstore because he was in
the children’s section alone. What was a grown man doing
there? He was shopping for his five and seven-year-old
A customer became alarmed at this brazen affront to her
standards and alerted a clerk at this Barnes and “not so”
Noble, who proceeded to boot grandpa.
The corporation later apologized, but I don’t care.
I also just don’t want to hear the phrase “You just can’t
be too careful.”
Yes, you can.
You can strangle a child with suspicions that prevent them
from enjoying the amazing gifts that come from the company
of loving grown-ups.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck