I like to think of myself as a protector of all things
children. That is not to say I find all children equally
appealing. Some I never cared for at all – but if they’re
kids, they need protection.
However, we seem to live in a time when, because of the
actions of a few evil people, our society attempts to
envelop all our offspring in a life-sapping isolation
bubble inflated by extreme over-reaction.
The latest example is the 73-year-old Scottsdale man
forced out of a major chain bookstore because he was in
the children’s section alone. What was a grown man doing
there? He was shopping for his five and seven-year-old
A customer became alarmed at this brazen affront to her
standards and alerted a clerk at this Barnes and “not so”
Noble, who proceeded to boot grandpa.
The corporation later apologized, but I don’t care.
I also just don’t want to hear the phrase “You just can’t
be too careful.”
Yes, you can.
You can strangle a child with suspicions that prevent them
from enjoying the amazing gifts that come from the company
of loving grown-ups.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains