I like to think of myself as a protector of all things
children. That is not to say I find all children equally
appealing. Some I never cared for at all – but if they’re
kids, they need protection.
However, we seem to live in a time when, because of the
actions of a few evil people, our society attempts to
envelop all our offspring in a life-sapping isolation
bubble inflated by extreme over-reaction.
The latest example is the 73-year-old Scottsdale man
forced out of a major chain bookstore because he was in
the children’s section alone. What was a grown man doing
there? He was shopping for his five and seven-year-old
A customer became alarmed at this brazen affront to her
standards and alerted a clerk at this Barnes and “not so”
Noble, who proceeded to boot grandpa.
The corporation later apologized, but I don’t care.
I also just don’t want to hear the phrase “You just can’t
be too careful.”
Yes, you can.
You can strangle a child with suspicions that prevent them
from enjoying the amazing gifts that come from the company
of loving grown-ups.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon