Are you one of the many people who are afraid to visit Mexico because of the violence?
Are you terrified at the very thought that somehow, some way, a family member could wind up in some Third World country, physically or mentally ill, without any hope of care or treatment?
Welcome to the Arizona prison system.
Have you been reading the gut-wrenching series in The Arizona Republic about the deaths, the abuses, the indifference that appears to be all too common in our correctional system.
Bob Ortega writes that, over the past two years, 37 inmates have died as a result of prison violence, neglect or mistreatment. How is that possible in a civilized society — the mentally ill committing suicide in solitary confinement, smuggled drug overdoses, medical conditions that go untreated and murder.
Perhaps you’re saying prison isn’t a civilized society. You’re right, but we’re supposed to be. As part of humanity we’re supposed to give a damn.
But in Arizona, the prison system seems to be death row for everybody.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.