Are you one of the many people who are afraid to visit Mexico because of the violence?
Are you terrified at the very thought that somehow, some way, a family member could wind up in some Third World country, physically or mentally ill, without any hope of care or treatment?
Welcome to the Arizona prison system.
Have you been reading the gut-wrenching series in The Arizona Republic about the deaths, the abuses, the indifference that appears to be all too common in our correctional system.
Bob Ortega writes that, over the past two years, 37 inmates have died as a result of prison violence, neglect or mistreatment. How is that possible in a civilized society — the mentally ill committing suicide in solitary confinement, smuggled drug overdoses, medical conditions that go untreated and murder.
Perhaps you’re saying prison isn’t a civilized society. You’re right, but we’re supposed to be. As part of humanity we’re supposed to give a damn.
But in Arizona, the prison system seems to be death row for everybody.
I’m Pat McMahon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments