Spear Phishing is on the rise, and many of you don’t even realize it’s happening to you.
It used to be you’d get a random email from a bank you don’t do business with, claiming an account security issue. It’s pretty easy to figure out, But what if you get an email from your company’s HR department with a policy change notification, or vacation policy update. You click on it because it’s your company, or is it?
These days, the bad guys are spear phishing right inside your office. Why? Because they know you won’t even think about opening a company email, and they’re right.
So, how do you sniff out a spear phishing scam? While it’s nearly impossible to give you absolutes, you should know enough to never click on any of the links that are posted in the message.
If the warning, information or request is legit, it will appear on your screen when you manually log into your account, so always open a web browser and type the address yourself.
Look for poor spelling and bad grammar, those are usually signs of a scam.
Finally, check the links. You can sniff out mismatched links by hovering your mouse over the link (DO NOT CLICK ON IT) and checking the status bar at the bottom left corner of the message or web browser to see if it matches. If it doesn’t, you know it’s a scam.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
Latest Data Doctors
- Don't worry: Portable cellphone battery chargers are not likely to explode
- A webcam hack is a problem, but a sign of a much larger issue
- The difference between water-resistant and waterproof in smartphones
- Is it safe to have your browser store all of your passwords?
- Using a password management program can be a good way to stay safe online