It’s the official start of tax season, so before you fire up the computer to start doing your tax preparation, you need to read this Data Doctors Tech Tip.
Before you start entering your personal information, your date of birth, social security number, all that stuff. Do a quick check of your computer to make sure it’s safe to do your taxes.
Check to see how many background processes are running. If you’re seeing less than 45 processes, everything is probably ok. If you see 60, 70, 80 or more processes running, STOP EVERYTHING!
You need to get your computer checked out for potential malware, when your computer has extra processes running, that’s typically a sign of an infection, and doing your taxes on an infected PC can put your personal information at risk.
Some other signs of infection, if startup and shutdown take forever, or you’re experiencing lots of freezes and crashes, don’t use that computer.
Would you drive around in a car that wouldn’t startup or shutdown, would it be ok if it started to freeze or crash on it’s own? Silly sounding right? But it’s ok with our computers.
So, before you start your return, get your computer checked out by someone you trust.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them