It’s the official start of tax season, so before you fire up the computer to start doing your tax preparation, you need to read this Data Doctors Tech Tip.
Before you start entering your personal information, your date of birth, social security number, all that stuff. Do a quick check of your computer to make sure it’s safe to do your taxes.
Check to see how many background processes are running. If you’re seeing less than 45 processes, everything is probably ok. If you see 60, 70, 80 or more processes running, STOP EVERYTHING!
You need to get your computer checked out for potential malware, when your computer has extra processes running, that’s typically a sign of an infection, and doing your taxes on an infected PC can put your personal information at risk.
Some other signs of infection, if startup and shutdown take forever, or you’re experiencing lots of freezes and crashes, don’t use that computer.
Would you drive around in a car that wouldn’t startup or shutdown, would it be ok if it started to freeze or crash on it’s own? Silly sounding right? But it’s ok with our computers.
So, before you start your return, get your computer checked out by someone you trust.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
Latest Data Doctors
- Don't worry: Portable cellphone battery chargers are not likely to explode
- A webcam hack is a problem, but a sign of a much larger issue
- The difference between water-resistant and waterproof in smartphones
- Is it safe to have your browser store all of your passwords?
- Using a password management program can be a good way to stay safe online