Last week, I talked about why some patients should consider herbal treatments over prescription drugs to treat their osteoarthritis.
This week, I thought I’d give you two of the herbal treatments I often recommend to my patients.
Taking devil’s claw orally seems to lessen nonspecific low-back pain. Some evidence suggests that an extract of devil’s claw at doses of 50 mg to 100 mg harpagoside daily seems to decrease low back pain as well as 12.5 mg rofecoxib (Vioxx).
Furthermore, taking devil’s claw orally alone or in conjunction with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) seems to help decrease osteoarthritis-related pain. Some evidence suggests that devil’s claw is comparable to a slow-acting drug for osteoarthritis not available in the U.S. for improving osteoarthritis pain in the hip and knee after 16 weeks of treatment.
Patients taking devil’s claw also seem to be able to decrease use of NSAIDs for pain relief.
Some clinical research shows that some turmeric extracts can improve symptoms of osteoarthritis.
In one clinical trial, taking a turmeric extract 500 mg twice daily significantly reduced pain and improved functionality compared to baseline after eight weeks of treatment in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Patients taking this extract also had significantly reduced usage of analgesics and NSAIDs.
The extract used in this study was standardized to contain 20 percent curcuminoids, providing 75 percent curcumin.
Turmeric has also been compared to conventional treatment. In one clinical trial, a non-commercial turmeric extract 500 mg four times daily was comparable to the anti-inflammatory drug ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for reducing knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis after six weeks of treatment.
To tell you just a bit more about turmeric and why I like it: It may play a role in the treatment and prevention of skin, breast and colorectal cancer and Alzheimer’s.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon