Last week, I talked about why some patients should consider herbal treatments over prescription drugs to treat their osteoarthritis.
This week, I thought I’d give you two of the herbal treatments I often recommend to my patients.
Taking devil’s claw orally seems to lessen nonspecific low-back pain. Some evidence suggests that an extract of devil’s claw at doses of 50 mg to 100 mg harpagoside daily seems to decrease low back pain as well as 12.5 mg rofecoxib (Vioxx).
Furthermore, taking devil’s claw orally alone or in conjunction with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) seems to help decrease osteoarthritis-related pain. Some evidence suggests that devil’s claw is comparable to a slow-acting drug for osteoarthritis not available in the U.S. for improving osteoarthritis pain in the hip and knee after 16 weeks of treatment.
Patients taking devil’s claw also seem to be able to decrease use of NSAIDs for pain relief.
Some clinical research shows that some turmeric extracts can improve symptoms of osteoarthritis.
In one clinical trial, taking a turmeric extract 500 mg twice daily significantly reduced pain and improved functionality compared to baseline after eight weeks of treatment in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Patients taking this extract also had significantly reduced usage of analgesics and NSAIDs.
The extract used in this study was standardized to contain 20 percent curcuminoids, providing 75 percent curcumin.
Turmeric has also been compared to conventional treatment. In one clinical trial, a non-commercial turmeric extract 500 mg four times daily was comparable to the anti-inflammatory drug ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for reducing knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis after six weeks of treatment.
To tell you just a bit more about turmeric and why I like it: It may play a role in the treatment and prevention of skin, breast and colorectal cancer and Alzheimer’s.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns