I just got home from Los Angeles.
Almost everyone was being scanned by a low-level X-ray machine at LAX. My wife and I refused and got a pat down instead.
I admit I am not a radiation expert, but, there is no reason to assume that these units are safe after repeated scans (radiation is cumulative) for frequent travelers, kids, women (breast exposure), etc.
In fact, I mentioned to the nice guy patting me down that I thought that the scatter from the units could be proven down the road to be particularly dangerous to TSA employees near the unit. He hazarded a comment that many employees were concerned — did not trust the feds’ claim that the units were safe — but they needed the work!
As usual, the folks who OK this stuff themselves have little understanding of the science and are not subject to the same screening or at least frequency of screening.
My advice is to refuse as often as you can to be scanned. Ask to be patted down. Do not get angry at the poor TSA officer just doing his or her job. Do not get snotty with them. Just politely ask for what is your right — a pat down.
In 20 years, if it is shown in retrospect that the scanners have been safe for as many years, you can get X-rayed.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them