You may have heard this week about a new study which found a higher risk of death among women who used certain supplements.
It’s a complicated study. Bear in mind that only white women ages 55 to 69 were enrolled in the study and they were followed for 22 years.
Those taking calcium supplements had a 3.8 percent reduced risk of death. The calcium benefit ended, however, when taking more than 900 mg per day from supplements.
It’s worth noting that experts suggest many older women who take calcium supplements may not need to. I recommend no more than 800 mg a day or the risk of cardiovascular disease is increased — and so is mortality.
The mineral most strongly associated with an increased risk of death was iron, which showed a risk increase of 3.9 percent — and the risk increased as the dose increased, particularly over 50 mg per day. However, the study grouped dosages of under 50 mg together, making it hard to determine the risk of low dosages of iron, such as those in many multivitamins. However, there is very little reason why a postmenopausal woman should be taking iron.
Although not as statistically meaningful, other supplements were associated with the following increases in the risk of death during the study: multivitamins (2.4 percent), vitamin B6 (4.1 percent), folic acid (5.9 percent), magnesium (3.6 percent), zinc (3.0 percent), and copper (18 percent).
The bottom line: Don’t take a supplement you don’t need. Eat a balanced diet with five portions a day of fruits and vegetables and skip the McDonald’s!
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food