You may have heard this week about a new study which found a higher risk of death among women who used certain supplements.
It’s a complicated study. Bear in mind that only white women ages 55 to 69 were enrolled in the study and they were followed for 22 years.
Those taking calcium supplements had a 3.8 percent reduced risk of death. The calcium benefit ended, however, when taking more than 900 mg per day from supplements.
It’s worth noting that experts suggest many older women who take calcium supplements may not need to. I recommend no more than 800 mg a day or the risk of cardiovascular disease is increased — and so is mortality.
The mineral most strongly associated with an increased risk of death was iron, which showed a risk increase of 3.9 percent — and the risk increased as the dose increased, particularly over 50 mg per day. However, the study grouped dosages of under 50 mg together, making it hard to determine the risk of low dosages of iron, such as those in many multivitamins. However, there is very little reason why a postmenopausal woman should be taking iron.
Although not as statistically meaningful, other supplements were associated with the following increases in the risk of death during the study: multivitamins (2.4 percent), vitamin B6 (4.1 percent), folic acid (5.9 percent), magnesium (3.6 percent), zinc (3.0 percent), and copper (18 percent).
The bottom line: Don’t take a supplement you don’t need. Eat a balanced diet with five portions a day of fruits and vegetables and skip the McDonald’s!
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns