Magnesium supplementation may help improve insulin sensitivity and lower the risk of diabetes in overweight patients, according to a recent study.
In the study, 52 overweight non-diabetic adults were randomly assigned to receive either 365 milligrams of magnesium-aspartate-hydrochloride or placebo daily for six months.
The researchers found that insulin resistance significantly improved in the magnesium group after six months of supplementation. Blood pressure and cholesterol levels were not significantly affected by supplementation.
The researchers evaluated magnesium intake, inflammatory markers and diabetes diagnoses in 4,497 adults who did not have diabetes. They found that that people who consumed the most magnesium were 47 percent less likely to develop diabetes than those who consumed the least amount. Additionally, higher magnesium levels were linked to lower inflammatory markers and improvements in insulin resistance.
While the results are promising, more research is needed to determine if magnesium has a protective effect against diabetes. However, when taken appropriately, magnesium is relatively benign and I see no reason to wait for more definitive studies provided that you discuss what you are doing and why with your health care provider.
I always check my diabetic patients for red blood cell magnesium, which is an important marker. While most believe that magnesium should be taken in a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium, recent data suggesting that calcium might increase arterial calcifications is disconcerting. I am waiting to see more research in this regard.
So I advise my diabetic patients to take 100 to 250 mg of magnesium, preferably magnesium aspartate or citrate which are more absorbable forms.
Remember, too much magnesium can cause diarrhea.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night