The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery (most current edition is 10). Has nearly 100 pages dedicated to poultry and resources for where to buy, how to, expert and hobby rancher input on not only chickens but everything needed in homesteading. This should be in every home next to the bible. Find on Amazon
Choosing and Keeping Chickens by Chris Graham. This book does a good job of covering the basics, but what we really like is the 100 pages of great color photos of over 50 different breeds with all the basic ‘pedigree’ information pertaining to each breed. And after seeing it in this book, we will never own a Malay Chicken. Find on Amazon
Hobby Farms’ Chickens by Sue Weaver If you want to breed and sell your flock, this book covers breeding and hatching very well…which is what you can expect from all Hobby Farm resources on all species of livestock. Find on Amazon
NOTE: Chickens are seasonal. Call ahead to ask about current stock and breeds.
The Stock Shop
6615 West Thunderbird Road
Pratt’s Pets and Feed
5237 W Glendale Ave
Gordon’s Feed & Seed
600 W Broadway Rd
Dale’s Town & Country Store
14344 W Waddell Rd
What Chicken Breeds does Romey have?
Observational commentary and opinions on specific chicken breeds from “Rancho La Romero”
Buff Orpington – As long as we have chickens, we will never -not- have Buff Orpingtons. I don’t know if it’s because:
The ones we have now are the last remaining breed of our original flock.
The way their feathers flow as they waddle side to side when they run, adding to their already curious nature the whole family finds entertaining.
The wit they have to be next to the horse bucket at feeding time to peck dropped oats.
The fact that they are relatively easy to catch and handle.
Their ability to flee and hide from predators.
Their ability lay eggs as they free range (not return to the nesting boxes; there is a notable difference in egg production for other breeds if they can’t get back to their box.)
The consistency of their egg production
Or the nick name their breed has been given at our homestead. We call them “Big Mama’s”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January