The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery (most current edition is 10). Has nearly 100 pages dedicated to poultry and resources for where to buy, how to, expert and hobby rancher input on not only chickens but everything needed in homesteading. This should be in every home next to the bible. Find on Amazon
Choosing and Keeping Chickens by Chris Graham. This book does a good job of covering the basics, but what we really like is the 100 pages of great color photos of over 50 different breeds with all the basic ‘pedigree’ information pertaining to each breed. And after seeing it in this book, we will never own a Malay Chicken. Find on Amazon
Hobby Farms’ Chickens by Sue Weaver If you want to breed and sell your flock, this book covers breeding and hatching very well…which is what you can expect from all Hobby Farm resources on all species of livestock. Find on Amazon
NOTE: Chickens are seasonal. Call ahead to ask about current stock and breeds.
The Stock Shop
6615 West Thunderbird Road
Pratt’s Pets and Feed
5237 W Glendale Ave
Gordon’s Feed & Seed
600 W Broadway Rd
Dale’s Town & Country Store
14344 W Waddell Rd
What Chicken Breeds does Romey have?
Observational commentary and opinions on specific chicken breeds from “Rancho La Romero”
Buff Orpington – As long as we have chickens, we will never -not- have Buff Orpingtons. I don’t know if it’s because:
The ones we have now are the last remaining breed of our original flock.
The way their feathers flow as they waddle side to side when they run, adding to their already curious nature the whole family finds entertaining.
The wit they have to be next to the horse bucket at feeding time to peck dropped oats.
The fact that they are relatively easy to catch and handle.
Their ability to flee and hide from predators.
Their ability lay eggs as they free range (not return to the nesting boxes; there is a notable difference in egg production for other breeds if they can’t get back to their box.)
The consistency of their egg production
Or the nick name their breed has been given at our homestead. We call them “Big Mama’s”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development