Often times, we watch TV and listen to the radio to get away from reality.
We know how tough our lives are and how much of a struggle things are for others and sometimes it’s just nice to watch a football game, comedy or reality show (I can’t be the only one, the ratings don’t lie).
There’s something about tragedy unfolding in real life when trying to relax that really gets to me. Last night, I got home and flipped through my DVR and popped on an episode of HBO’s “Real Sports.” In this particular episode, Steve Gleason, a former NFL football player for the New Orleans Saints, was sharing his story as he battles ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). To me, as tough as these moments are to watch, there’s powerful lessons to be learned in them.
Watching Gleason learn to speak using a program where he’ll essentially type with his eyes is powerful. It teaches me to be thankful for everyday, every moment, I’ve got here on this earth.
Watching the former Saint record some video content for his soon-to-be-born child makes me wonder and look forward to the special gift of becoming a father some day.
And then I think about how the show mentions traumatic blows to the brain being one of the possible causes of ALS and wonder if football is going to be around for much longer as we know it.
I wrapped up the show as my roommate was coming home and he asked if I’d flip on WWE’s “Monday Night RAW,” a show we often watch when we’re trying to unwind after long days at work.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night