Often times, we watch TV and listen to the radio to get away from reality.
We know how tough our lives are and how much of a struggle things are for others and sometimes it’s just nice to watch a football game, comedy or reality show (I can’t be the only one, the ratings don’t lie).
There’s something about tragedy unfolding in real life when trying to relax that really gets to me. Last night, I got home and flipped through my DVR and popped on an episode of HBO’s “Real Sports.” In this particular episode, Steve Gleason, a former NFL football player for the New Orleans Saints, was sharing his story as he battles ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). To me, as tough as these moments are to watch, there’s powerful lessons to be learned in them.
Watching Gleason learn to speak using a program where he’ll essentially type with his eyes is powerful. It teaches me to be thankful for everyday, every moment, I’ve got here on this earth.
Watching the former Saint record some video content for his soon-to-be-born child makes me wonder and look forward to the special gift of becoming a father some day.
And then I think about how the show mentions traumatic blows to the brain being one of the possible causes of ALS and wonder if football is going to be around for much longer as we know it.
I wrapped up the show as my roommate was coming home and he asked if I’d flip on WWE’s “Monday Night RAW,” a show we often watch when we’re trying to unwind after long days at work.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas