Jason Collins became the first openly gay professional athlete in one of the four major sports on Monday.
Brave decision to come out of closet? Yes, but let’s put this into perspective.
Is this a Jackie Robinson moment? Absolutely not. Robinson obviously couldn’t hide the fact that he was black. Collins hid the fact that he was gay his entire life. Collins may have some trouble down the line with some fans and a few players, but equating it with what Jackie Robinson did is ridiculous.
How hard was it for Collins to come out? Probably very hard but he has tremendous support. He knew he would get tremendous support. Think of it like this: When a 13-year-old kid comes out of the closet, he or she doesn’t get a call from President Obama and former President Clinton. No tweets from Ellen and Kobe. No Facebook messages from celebrities.
The 13-year-old gay kid gets bullied at school.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet doesn’t get book deals and won’t be hired at a pretty penny for speaking engagements, but a very average NBA player at the end of his career will if he says he is gay.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish Collins the best. It was a brilliant business move as well. He was the first athlete to tell the world that he’s gay. Brave? Yes.
But how brave?
Not as brave the 13-year-old who struggles to say, “I’m not going to hide who I am.”
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who deals with the playground bullies everyday.
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who tells his/her parents that they are gay.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet. That’s amazing bravery.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night