Jason Collins became the first openly gay professional athlete in one of the four major sports on Monday.
Brave decision to come out of closet? Yes, but let’s put this into perspective.
Is this a Jackie Robinson moment? Absolutely not. Robinson obviously couldn’t hide the fact that he was black. Collins hid the fact that he was gay his entire life. Collins may have some trouble down the line with some fans and a few players, but equating it with what Jackie Robinson did is ridiculous.
How hard was it for Collins to come out? Probably very hard but he has tremendous support. He knew he would get tremendous support. Think of it like this: When a 13-year-old kid comes out of the closet, he or she doesn’t get a call from President Obama and former President Clinton. No tweets from Ellen and Kobe. No Facebook messages from celebrities.
The 13-year-old gay kid gets bullied at school.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet doesn’t get book deals and won’t be hired at a pretty penny for speaking engagements, but a very average NBA player at the end of his career will if he says he is gay.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish Collins the best. It was a brilliant business move as well. He was the first athlete to tell the world that he’s gay. Brave? Yes.
But how brave?
Not as brave the 13-year-old who struggles to say, “I’m not going to hide who I am.”
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who deals with the playground bullies everyday.
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who tells his/her parents that they are gay.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet. That’s amazing bravery.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets