Jason Collins became the first openly gay professional athlete in one of the four major sports on Monday.
Brave decision to come out of closet? Yes, but let’s put this into perspective.
Is this a Jackie Robinson moment? Absolutely not. Robinson obviously couldn’t hide the fact that he was black. Collins hid the fact that he was gay his entire life. Collins may have some trouble down the line with some fans and a few players, but equating it with what Jackie Robinson did is ridiculous.
How hard was it for Collins to come out? Probably very hard but he has tremendous support. He knew he would get tremendous support. Think of it like this: When a 13-year-old kid comes out of the closet, he or she doesn’t get a call from President Obama and former President Clinton. No tweets from Ellen and Kobe. No Facebook messages from celebrities.
The 13-year-old gay kid gets bullied at school.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet doesn’t get book deals and won’t be hired at a pretty penny for speaking engagements, but a very average NBA player at the end of his career will if he says he is gay.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish Collins the best. It was a brilliant business move as well. He was the first athlete to tell the world that he’s gay. Brave? Yes.
But how brave?
Not as brave the 13-year-old who struggles to say, “I’m not going to hide who I am.”
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who deals with the playground bullies everyday.
Not as brave as the 13-year-old who tells his/her parents that they are gay.
The 13-year-old kid who comes out of the closet. That’s amazing bravery.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development